Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irs and the offer and compromise.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Irs and the offer and compromise.

Has anyone had success in this? I'm currently 35k in debt to the federal and 11k to the state. This is before penalties and interest.
I'm guessing well over 40k to the federal by the time they add all the fees. I owe for 2010-2014. This is the last thing I really need to clean up.
My current situation is in a LDP with my girlfriend. We have a family of 5. I owed the taxes before her. The house is hers. I know they will add her as income to the household income but will they also consider her debt? Without my income she couldn't afford what she has alone.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Irs and the offer and compromise.

Our current situation financially is broke...we pay out what we make just about. I do have cash on hand to settle the state taxes (not in a bank account or tracked) and her credit is good enough to take out a small loan for the federal but by no means 40k+
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go here and work through this first.

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Offer-in-Compromise-1

Yo may have more questions after that.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already did I all that. It says I qualify. But from reading it looks like most never really qualify once the paper work is submitted. There calculator and mine come up with about 3600 as a compromise. And I hear the process can take years to get through. I could do the 3600 with a small personal loan. I just don't want to take out a loan only to get rejected and now I have a loan payment and I have a payment to them.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have the paper work filled out and have about that same figure. Has anyone tried and been successful?
The success stories I have found are normally on some lawyers website promoting their business and well I don't believe a lawyer lol.
Message 5 of 6
KeisMom

I have had luck with the offer in compromise program. I owed about $13k in federal taxes. I did the calculator tool and found out that I would most likely be approved. So I filled out the paperwork and and mailed it in.. (this was August 2014). I got a letter saying they've received it and I would hear back by 12/31. In early December I received a letter saying they are still reviewing so I should hear something by 3/31. They went back and adjusted 1 of my recent years which tacked on another $3k (old debt that was apparently written off) and said I either had to accept it to keep going or challenge it, send in proof of that I should be responsible for it which would put my OIC on hold until that issue was resolved. I accepted it...By upping the balance it only helped me. In June I received a letter saying it was denied because of the amount I offered (the worksheet said I should offer $0 but I still offered something because I rightfully owed them money). They countered however. Said that if I offered $1800, they would accept (I had just started a new job and had $1800 in 401k and they considered that a liquid asset and determined that I could use that to pay them the debt). I agreed to the offer and they still allowed me to pay them in 5 installments. They will keep whatever refund I would have earned in 2016 for the 2015 tax year but after that I am free and clear. It can be a lengthy process but as long as they are in processing, they will not take action against you (i.e-garnishments, levies, payment plans). I know $13k ($16k) isnt anywhere near $40k but it;s still worth a shot. You dont have anything to lose by trying! Good Luck! oh yea, my last payment will be made by december 31! 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.