Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is NFCU backdoor closed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is NFCU backdoor closed?

I just wanted some verification to whether or not Navy's backdoor-application process is officially closed?

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is NFCU backdoor closed?

The "backdoor" method most people refer to was joining the Navy League San Diego chapter which then gave you the ability to join NFCU.  That has been discontinued since April 2017.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not a backdoor as such, but if you have an immediate family member (parent, sibling, spouse), living or deceased, who is or at any time in the past has been a servicemember, that makes you eligible to join NFCU, even if you've never been in the armed services or employed by DoD. If you need proof of your family member's service record, you can write to or apply online to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis for what, IIRC, is called the DD-214, the form that's cut for every service member at the conclusion of their hitch. My father was in the Marines in the early 1960's, so I applied to NPRC via their website for his DD-214 a couple of weeks back. Once I get it, I'll be joining NFCU at the end of my current gardening phase (since NFCU hard-pulls EQ for membership applications and I want to link my joining with an app for the CashRewards Visa).

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Was familiar with that route but wanted to see if I could give navy some future business but guess not lol.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied over the phone to join. I merely told the lady that my grandpa served during WWII (which is true), and that was it. I didn't have to provide a number or whatnot. They have never requested any verification or anything from me on it.

Message 6 of 15
Cookiegrabber
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied over the phone to join. I merely told the lady that my grandpa served during WWII (which is true), and that was it. I didn't have to provide a number or whatnot. They have never requested any verification or anything from me on it.

Just to add for people that may get [bad] ideas from this, it's a crime to lie (influence with false info) to financial institutions so don't do it if you're not really eligible. You automatically get a savings account by joining, so yes, you are influencing their decisions. I think the punishment was something like up to $1M in fines and possible imprisonment. Navy Fed's good but it's not THAT good, lol.

Starting Scores: No Scores (03/2018)
Current Scores: 779 - 789 (08/2023)
Goal Scores: 780 across the board

Current Total Credit Limit: $109,900 (08/2023)
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cookiegrabber wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just to add for people that may get [bad] ideas from this, it's a crime to lie (influence with false info) to financial institutions so don't do it if you're not really eligible. You automatically get a savings account by joining, so yes, you are influencing their decisions. I think the punishment was something like up to $1M in fines and possible imprisonment. Navy Fed's good but it's not THAT good, lol.

Thanks for the warning. I actually had the rather absurd thought of, when I finally do go in to join, bringing my father's picture (dressed in his Marine officer's greens) and the unit patch plaques from his old squadrons that I have hanging on my walls! Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

^ Exact same here.  I told them what branch my grandfather was in, that he was in WWII, and all I gave them was his name.  Never needed any sort of confirmation.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cookiegrabber wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

NFCU conducts regular audits of accounts;  if you're audited they will freeze all your accounts until you provide proof that you're eligible for membership. And if you don't provide the required proof your accounts will be closed. That said, your comment is hyperbolic.  Navy certainly can't prosecute anyone who lies to them, and the Feds will not be normally interested in such prosecutions unless they are trying to nail you for something else. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.