cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an app to see checking balance minus your credit card balance/pending charges in realtime?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there an app to see checking balance minus your credit card balance/pending charges in realtime?

I'm new to the credit card journey, and I've decided to get in the habit of charging everything to my Discover It secured card from day one and paying off the balance in full each month. Everything is going great so far, but I've been having to do a lot of busywork to keep track of what I've spent on the credit card and what I have in my checking account to make sure I stay on track (where previously my expenses were just instantly deducted from my checking balance).

Do you guys know if there's a simple app similar to Mint where you can link your checking account and your credit card account and it will show you your checking balance as if your credit card balance and pending credit card charges were coming out of your checking account? Like, say for example that my checking balance is $100. I have a $20 balance on my card and $10 in pending charges, is there an app that would say "You have $70 available and $80"

Just curious as to if that's a thing. If not, I'll just continue to refine my methods to keep track more efficiently.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Green456
Established Contributor

Re: Is there an app to see checking balance minus your credit card balance/pending charges in realti

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm new to the credit card journey, and I've decided to get in the habit of charging everything to my Discover It secured card from day one and paying off the balance in full each month. Everything is going great so far, but I've been having to do a lot of busywork to keep track of what I've spent on the credit card and what I have in my checking account to make sure I stay on track (where previously my expenses were just instantly deducted from my checking balance).

Do you guys know if there's a simple app similar to Mint where you can link your checking account and your credit card account and it will show you your checking balance as if your credit card balance and pending credit card charges were coming out of your checking account? Like, say for example that my checking balance is $100. I have a $20 balance on my card and $10 in pending charges, is there an app that would say "You have $70 available and $80"

Just curious as to if that's a thing. If not, I'll just continue to refine my methods to keep track more efficiently.

That's how credit card companies get you to overspend. What I do is submit payment from my checking account every time I use my credit card. 
Alternatively you can create a 2nd checking account called accounts payable and transfer whatever you spent on your credit card to that account. Then at the end of the month your CC automatically pays off the balance. Whichever way you decide to go, it will allow you to see real time checking balance. Although it requires some work.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is there an app to see checking balance minus your credit card balance/pending charges in realti

I use the app Fudget for this. Make a budget with your bank account balance at the top and then input each of your credit card transactions manually, tagging them with some identifier for the card. 

Alternatively you can just group the credit cards together and use the built in calculator to add each transaction up as you make them but this requires the pro version of the app which is like $5 I think. 

Since I switched to using Fudget for budgeting, I haven’t overspent a single time. 

9A717A97-4D02-4DBA-86C3-FF47E5C9BA73.jpeg

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mint.com does this.

Message 4 of 11
calyx
Super Contributor

Like Saeren, I use a budgeting app (mine is YNAB) and manually input so I stay within my spending.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mint is the only financial app that I have come accross that will show pending transactions. I don't use Mint because it doesn't fit my needs for a good budget. I use YNAB and track all of my credit card expenses manually as they happen. 

Message 6 of 11
StarraeAday1
Regular Contributor

@calyx wrote:

Like Saeren, I use a budgeting app (mine is YNAB) and manually input so I stay within my spending.

+1

YNAB literally changed the trajectory of my entire life, financial and otherwise. I've been using it over 5 years now and I will never, ever NOT use it again. If the company ever folded, my life would very likely be over. Smiley Wink

Foreclosure - June 2017
Ch. 7 BK - Discharged January 2018
6/2020 - EQ 680 | EX 691 | TU 707
Message 7 of 11
ISawIt
Established Member

I use Moven. It provides real time receipts and allows you track all credit card expenses. It included charts and graphs of weekly and monthly expenses. Once I started using Moven no more late payments. Credit score improved. Requires opening a checking account with them.
Message 8 of 11
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I just have a spreadsheet that I’ve refined to do this very thing. I keep track of my balance and what I spend on my credit cards so I can keep track of my actual balance for spending.

Message 9 of 11
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

I personally use Personal Capital.

It’s not a budgeting app but rather bank account tracking app, which is good for me as I have 4 bank accounts and 15 CC and it’s amazing!!!

Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.