Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job benefits

tag
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Re: Job benefits

Okay, thank you. I will get health insurance then. Sometimes, you really never know, have to protect yourself at all times. I guess I was just being stubborn but one day, if it happens I won't look back and regret. I really appreciate you guys a lot!

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheBoondocks wrote:
Hey guys, so I was wondering how many of you guys work a full time job but decline all benefits? I was thinking, that once I hit the 90 days I would be eligible for benefits but now I'm thinking it's not worth it, I saw reviews on indeed about it but from different states and they said that it's much more expensive. I already got vision from my other job so I don't really need it. But, they offer PTO, 401k, health, vision and dental. I was thinking about getting health due to HSA but I know I'm gonna be paying a lot for the premium.

I work a regular 9 to 5 job so I guess the benefits are average lol.

I work full time job, however i dislike funds being taking out of the paycheck. Has anyone wondered if you could apply for health, Vision and dental insurance with the state? Even Social Security offers healthcare plan? 

Message 12 of 17
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I work full time job, however i dislike funds being taking out of the paycheck. Has anyone wondered if you could apply for health, Vision and dental insurance with the state? Even Social Security offers healthcare plan? 

Your options will vary depending on the state you live in and probably other factors. I'm not aware that Social Security offers any health coverage. Medicare and Medicaid do, but you have to qualify for those, either by age, disability status, or financial need.

Employer sponsored healthcare typically has these advantages: 1) the employer makes some contribution so you the employee is not paying the full amount. 2) Employer group plan might have lower premiums than you can get on the open market.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 13 of 17
iced
Valued Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:
Hey guys, so I was wondering how many of you guys work a full time job but decline all benefits? I was thinking, that once I hit the 90 days I would be eligible for benefits but now I'm thinking it's not worth it, I saw reviews on indeed about it but from different states and they said that it's much more expensive. I already got vision from my other job so I don't really need it. But, they offer PTO, 401k, health, vision and dental. I was thinking about getting health due to HSA but I know I'm gonna be paying a lot for the premium.

I work a regular 9 to 5 job so I guess the benefits are average lol.

I think this would depend on your job.

My employer offers me a HSA-eligible insurance plan with the lowest deductible allowed, an annual employer match into my HSA account, and it only costs $35/month for the premiums. I'd be crazy to turn that down unless I knew I would hit my max out-of-pocket for the year, in whichi case I'd pick up the HMO plan instead. Dental's like $2/month and vision is free. Even my life insurance is paid for. I also max out both 401k and ESPP because my employer offers a $7,000 annual match and a 15% discount on purchases. More free money.

The only benefit I turned down was legal services because I don't use them, so they weren't worth the $29/month. 

Message 14 of 17
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

I am a firm believer in insurance.   If you don't have it you are gambling you will never need it.   Keep in mind that your bet on this wager is everything you have or possibley will ever have.   Are you willing to go all in?   If you do have insurance you are betting you will use it and get more back than you pay in.  The insurance company is the house and the odds are in thier favor, but in the end I would not take the chance of being uninsured.

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 15 of 17
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

I was talking to a co-worker and he's in his late 50's or so and he was telling me his daughter went to a party one day and this guy put a pill in her drink and it nearly killed her, she was drunk as well. He told me that for one night, the bill was $28K... I was like wow...

He also told me how there was this other girl, when she was 14, she had to go thru a surgery something about her stomach having problems, not digesting properly or in between those lines. He told me because she didn't have insurance and luckily she has a rich dad, he paid $40K for it, but it was an ongoing procedure.

I come to found out that the most important things in life, is credit score - not credit insurance LOL. Health insurance, life insurance, auto and home insurance! Thank you for all of your thoughts and making me look at a different perspective on life.
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheBoondocks wrote:
To me, I understand the need of health insurance when I was younger but I've never really been to the hospital, not to be sexist or anything but why buy health insurance when you could get it for free from your wife? I'm not married yet but do want to get married in the future, I don't want to push out money just because.

I'm 26, never have I had to go to the ER or anything major, except having a sinus that could take a week or so to recover but I did had to pay $1500 for not having insurance and I will take everything into consideration.

I look at it like if I were to have children, yeah I would agree that both people should have health insurance, the kids are not immune until their like in their 20's or so, and at a young age they could get sick and even have it worst. I feel like when you're 45 or 50+ you should have it cause everything from there health wise is declining.

As far as dentist, I have a yearly check up for free and stuff and I take care of my teeths, I have really good products for it. I just recently got glasses for $50, so I saved a lot of money by having it. I will look at the coverage and let you guys know. I'm not too familiar with it. And I would never want a 401k, I do have life insurance tho.

I was basically you with never needing to go to the doctor, and have been hospitalized in both my 20s and my 30s for some seriously random occurrences nobody saw coming . .  1 week each, to the tune of about $400k.

Get health insurance.

EDIT: saw you decided to do so Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.