Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining NAVY Fed ?

tag
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

Re: Joining NAVY Fed ?

Was wondering the difference between joining inbranch vs over the phone:

If you are joining you have to open a savings account and/or checking account? And probably deposit monies at time of opening?

Would in-branch be easier?

I've heard they don't let you transfer from outside banks into their savings, so I'd have to transfer from outside checking to inside checking then inside checking to inside savings? Or am I wrong?

Not trying to open CC yet, but would like membership to make future CC/Loans/MTG easier to open having existing history with them. [Deceased grandfather eligibility]

Didn't want to open another NFCU thread, sorry for the hijack AJC Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you must open a savings account. No it doesn’t necessarily have to be funded at the time of opening but soon thereafter.

I did in-branch, I don’t know about over the phone
Message 12 of 33
LakeLife
Established Contributor

I recently joined online.  They were able to verify my prior service via my name, DOB and SSN.  They did request that I send a copy of my DL and a recent W-2 showing my home address via their secure messaging system however.  I could have also provided them at a local branch.  

Message 13 of 33
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Hey guys, didnt want to hijack other threads. Im curious as ive been wanting to mention Navy to my Ex and her Mom to help them out. My Ex's Father served in the Army but isnt a nice man, they actually want no contact with him at all. Could she still join Navy Fed with her Dad having served even though he is alive and without him having say in matter. Curious to your thoughts before i brosch the subject with her. Thanks AJC

She doesn't need his permission. 

He does not need to be involved to obtain NFCU membership

As his daughter she should be able to request a copy of his DD-214.  If she's ever challenged she'll have proof of his service (and hopefully he didn't get a less-than-honorable discharge)

According to the National Archives website "All requests to get a copy of DD214 from discharges less than 62 years ago must be signed and dated by the veteran or next-of-kin. If you are the next of kin of a deceased veteran, you must provide proof of death of the veteran such as a copy of death certificate, letter from the funeral home, or published obituary."

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nomad3 wrote:
Was wondering the difference between joining inbranch vs over the phone: 

If you are joining you have to open a savings account and/or checking account? And probably deposit monies at time of opening? You are only required to open a share account at the time. But you can open additional accounts anytime after.

Would in-branch be easier? Can't say, as i opened online. But if you have all available info it might be.

I've heard they don't let you transfer from outside banks into their savings, so I'd have to transfer from outside checking to inside checking then inside checking to inside savings? Or am I wrong? True, past the intial funding to "get in", you'll have to push from the external accounts linked. At least until you open a CC, where you can tranfer from it. Then pay it back with one of your linked external accounts. You might be able to tranfer between the accounts if you open one of their advanced checking account.  

Not trying to open CC yet, but would like membership to make future CC/Loans/MTG easier to open having existing history with them. 

Message 15 of 33
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I would suggest it's always better to do it in person if you can when talking CU membership.

Actually shame on me for not looking there's branches within a half hour of me here in LA which is something I didn't realize... would've gone through this years ago if I had.

        
Message 16 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Medic981 Wow that’s amazing. I requested two DD-214s without providing any proof of death for either, from two different family members that are deceased.

And my memory may not be perfect, but I don’t even think they asked if they were alive, I can’t swear to the last part though because it’s been a while, but they did ask my relationship. I did it online.
Message 17 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very rarely do they perform an intensive docs request, but one should have just in case it's a YMMV situation.

I had all my Grandfathers paperwork, but they nevr even ask. And I don't believe they could look it up in the computer because his info was all old style paper, that presumably burned up in the records room fire long ago.

Message 18 of 33
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

Eligibility question: if I can only get in because of my grandfather, can my son get in when he's old enough if I'm a member? Even if the closest "military" would be his great grandfather?
Message 19 of 33
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Nomad3 wrote:
Eligibility question: if I can only get in because of my grandfather, can my son get in when he's old enough if I'm a member? Even if the closest "military" would be his great grandfather?

One you become a member, your son will be eligible to become a member.

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.