Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining PenFed After Bankruptcy

tag
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Joining PenFed After Bankruptcy

Not sure if this is the right place, sorry in advance to the mods if someone has to move this. 

I'm starting to wind things down to have a full 2 years of gardening before AMEX becomes available at 5 years 1 month (minus any potential unicorn cards, of course).  Just have my 3rd NFCU card left to go.

I currently use NFCU as my primary institution (checking, certificates, credit cards).  I also have memberships with Alliant (HYSA), and DCU (just opened, for HYSA for $1000).

I will need a car loan in about a year, and would like to eventually refi my private student loans (not going to be easy with the bk).

I'm thinking PenFed would be good to have available as an option and it is my understanding membership is a HP.  I just want to know if they will deny membership based on the bk (filed 7/2018, discharged 10/2018).  I'm only planning to put some money in a savings account for now to start a relationship, no credit applications.

Are there any other CUs that would be good to put in the arsenal for auto loans and student loans?

Thanks!

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Joining PenFed After Bankruptcy

I would call them and verify the HP.

I have been getting some SPs lately from them.

Of course, you can ask about the BK being an auto decline at the same time.

I had a rough start with them, but now it has been smooth sailing.  

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 6
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 pulled the trigger and just applied online.  Not really interested in try to call places with all that's going on.  People out there have more pressing issues than possibly wasting a hard pull, but it appears to have been a soft pull/no problems with the bk Smiley Happy  Thanks for your help/answering

nothing like typoing 'but it' and getting censored for it hahahaha

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 3 of 6
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Awesome.  Welcome to the PenFed family.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I joined penfed recently,  maybe three weeks ago, did not apply for anything, as I dont need anything right now.

I did not get a HP for membership. 

I havent logged back in to see how my $5.00 are doing 😐

Message 5 of 6
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@Remedios sweet, thanks for the confirmation on the SP

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.