Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just accepted at Navy Federal Credit Union

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just accepted at Navy Federal Credit Union

I just called NFCU and found out that my membership application was accepted.  Right now, I just have a checking and savings account with them.  So far, there are no hard pulls reported to my credit bureaus from joining this credit union.  Before submitting my application, I also spoke to someone in member services and she told me there would be no hard pulls for my membership application (despite reading online about people getting hard pulls just for applying to become a member--and two hard pulls if additionally applying for credit).  I wonder if their rules changed for membership?

I'm now a member of Vystar CU, Lake Michigan CU and Navy Federal CU--the last one thanks to the advice of the members on this board.  I'm probably going to stick with just these three CUs for now.  

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.  My finances are much more on track, thanks in large part to this Forum.

(edited out my question about applying for a credit card so as to keep this on topic for the forum).

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Just accepted at Navy Federal Credit Union

@Anonymous wrote:

I just called NFCU and found out that my membership application was accepted.  Right now, I just have a checking and savings account with them.  So far, there are no hard pulls reported to my credit bureaus from joining this credit union.  Before submitting my application, I also spoke to someone in member services and she told me there would be no hard pulls for my membership application (despite reading online about people getting hard pulls just for applying to become a member--and two hard pulls if additionally applying for credit).  I wonder if their rules changed for membership?

I'm now a member of Vystar CU, Lake Michigan CU and Navy Federal CU--the last one thanks to the advice of the members on this board.  I'm probably going to stick with just these three CUs for now.  

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.  My finances are much more on track, thanks in large part to this Forum.

(edited out my question about applying for a credit card so as to keep this on topic for the forum).

Up until a few months ago there was a HP for membership, but they no longer do that. 

They are still HP-happy for everything else, although they tend to make it worth it.  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the family 

Message 3 of 8
Batsamandrobin
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats and welcome aboard! NFCU has great customer service and they will definitely treat you well. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone.  Someone from NFCU's member services department called me to welcome me to Navy Federal.  She then spent about an hour explaining my accounts and taking me through online banking and the app to give me a tour.  I was very impressed with all the time spent welcoming a new member.  So far they are living up to their reputation for excellent customer service!

Message 5 of 8
brother7
Established Contributor

Welcome to the NFCU family! I'm also a member of NFCU (thanks to my father's Army service) + two local credit unions.

Though you didn't ask, I'll throw out this piece of unsolicited advice. Credit unions are GREAT for banking and loan products, but they're not so great for investments.

For investments, you're better served sticking to low-cost mutual funds at one of the big three: Vanguard, Schwab, Fidelity. My personal preference is in the order I listed them. Vanguard is the best for mutual funds. If you're into individual stocks, Schwab and Fidelity are better than Vanguard.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 6 of 8
DCnDC
Contributor

Welcome to Navy Federal! I felt lucky to get into their membership pool 13 years ago when I became an employee (as a 19-year-old baby) - best decision ever! Good luck with your future product needs there!
FICO 8 (as of 8/23/2019) | EX: 823 | TU: 824 | EQ: 831
Inquiries (Total) | EX: 1 | TU: 1 | EQ: 1
Inquiries (Less than 1 year) | EX: 0 | TU: 0 | EQ: 0

Bank Americard Mastercard $90,000 | PenFed Promise Visa $39,000 | Citi Simplicity Mastercard $26,500 | NFCU More Rewards Amex $25,000 | Macy's $25,000 | Synchrony Home (Mohawk) $25,000 | NFCU Go Rewards Visa $24,300 | Citi Costco Visa $15,300 | NFCU CLOC $15,000 | PenFed Gold Visa $11,000 | Discover It $10,000 | Citi Diamond Preferred Visa $9,500 | Kohl's $3,000

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.