cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just joined Navy Federal credit Union. Excited, Easy Process no documents needed

tag
Mugatu

Just joined Navy Federal credit Union. Excited, Easy Process no documents needed

Hey everybody, after perusing through the forums and reading about many people having great experiences with Navy Federal credit Union, I was determined to find a way to become a member. I read several articles and watched videos of back door ways to become a member, however I spoke to my dad and asked him if my deceased grandfather whom I've never met was in the military. 

My father got back to me and stated that yes he was in the Navy, so all I did was search his name, and I was able to find his service records, his birthday, the day that he died, his service number, when he enlisted, when he was discharged, all for free using Google, a 14 day free trial of ancestry.com, and archive.com. It took like 20 minutes and I had all the information ready. I then called Navy Federal credit credit Union and spoke to a really nice representative, and all she did was ask me what sector my grandfather served in, I said the Navy, and she signed me up for a checking and savings account and within 15 minutes I became a member of Navy Federal credit Union. 

I realize that some people who do not have family members have been able to sign up at Navy Federal credit Union, by getting a nice customer service agent that did not ask too many questions, however I also read that some people had their accounts audited and after being with NFCU for a while were kicked out for not being able to provide documentation. Just wanted to share how easy it was to sign up, and also Not be intimidated while attempting to find out the relevant information should you need to provide it to become a navy federal credit union I'm very excited👌🙏🙏

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

Re: Just joined Navy Federal credit Union. Excited, Easy Process no documents needed

@Mugatu Welcome to Nfcu and Congrats on achieving your Nfcu membership.  Welcome to the FICO forums. 

Message 2 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Just joined Navy Federal credit Union. Excited, Easy Process no documents needed

Call them back and ask if you can use the same HP for one of their credit cards. Thats how I got the AMEX More Reward card in one sitting.

Message 3 of 10
Mugatu

Hey there, thank you so much this is like the exact reason why these forums are so beneficial, she did not mention anything about a hard pull. I joined on the 17th and nothing has hit my credit alerts and I've checked all of them, but I also have not sent in my membership form to verify my Social Security number which I'm going to do today. I didn't even think to ask if it was a hard pull, the chick was so nice that I would've assumed she would've mentioned it. If indeed there is a HP, especially once I submit my verification form for my Social Security number I will definitely apply for a card. I will update my post accordingly once I get verification on yay or nay for the HP👌🙏🙏🙏

Message 4 of 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Last I knew it was no longer a HP to join Navy.

Message 5 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

@dragontears  Really. I just joined last year. Hmmmmmmm Well we'll see what happens.

Message 6 of 10
sourpuss29
Frequent Contributor

@Mugatu 

Welcome to the Navy family! 🎉

Message 7 of 10
sourpuss29
Frequent Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

I did not get hard pulled when I became a member last month.

Message 8 of 10
Mugatu

I just confirmed that it is definitely not a hard pull at this time, I wonder if that's just something that they are no longer doing, but it is strange that some people get a hard pull and some don't. Thank you everyone

Message 9 of 10
CV91915
Established Member

Did you supply any eligibility documentation during the approval process?

If no, they may randomly (or otherwise) audit your membership eligibility at any time in the future. 

During this time they will lock you out of your bank accounts, leaving you unable to access your money.  If your experience is like mine, they'll lose the documentation you submit at least three times, forcing you to resubmit it over and over and over... during which time you will not be able to pay your bills.

Pray this doesn't happen while you're traveling outside of the US, or at some other extremely inopportune time.

After I thought my nightmare was over, I noticed that they set me up in their system incorrectly as a female (the web site greeted me as "Ms. CV91915 when I logged in).  When I called to have that corrected they locked me out of my accounts again "for my own protection" and I to submit everything again. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.