Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping track of which card to use

tag
McNugget
Regular Contributor

Keeping track of which card to use

I'm new to this game of using cards for rewards, so I was wondering how other people keep track of which card to use where. Eventually it will become muscle memory.

Right now I use Google Keep and have a pinned widget. It's sorted by category, then by highest point/reward. It's simple and quick to scroll through. Might help me plan which card to apply for next.
| Amex BCP | BoA Cash Rewards | Cap1 QS | Cap1 SavorOne | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Citi DC | Citi Simplicity | Discover It Cash Back | JCrew | USB Cash+ | Target (AU) |
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Matt9543
Established Contributor

Re: Keeping track of which card to use

I use the Mint app by Intuit, and yeah you have to sign in to your accounts but I've had zero issues with it.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 2 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I don't bother with such apps. They don't seem have a good grasp of bonus category definitions, let alone factor in certain promotions or relevant card benefits.

My wallet has a clear plastic ID insert. I used to write Freedom and Discover rotating categories on a 1.25x1.25 inch bit of paper and keep it visible that way.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a note on my iPhone but it’s not really that difficult for me to track. 

Rotating categories - Discover 5%

Groceries - NFCU Amex 3%

Utilities - BBVA 3%

Dining - NFCU Amex 2%

Everything else - PayPal Cashback 2%

If you keep your cards simple, it becomes second nature when using them. 

I also keep my grocery card in the front slot since it comes out the most, PayPal Cashback goes in the slot behind it, and Disco goes behind that, BBVA card I stick in the back of my wallet with my debit cards and my sock drawer cards. 

Message 4 of 15
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

It can be difficult (see signature).

I usually think about it for larger purchases.

I also used a label maker on cards my wife uses since she cares so much less.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 15
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Wow, I’m a serious OCD person, but I’m not organized when it comes to this. My strategy is the tried-and-true “step up to the cash register and stand there for 5 minutes with a pensive look on my face while I debate which card to use.” Lol your idea sounds good. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 15
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

How about making a credit card sized cheat sheet?

Type it up on your computer and use packing tape to laminate it.

Pull it out of your wallet to make a decision (ideally before you need to pay.)

I think I am going to do that!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 7 of 15
JaseT
Established Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Wow, I’m a serious OCD person, but I’m not organized when it comes to this. My strategy is the tried-and-true “step up to the cash register and stand there for 5 minutes with a pensive look on my face while I debate which card to use.” Lol your idea sounds good. 

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
On My Radar Cards: Nothing ATM
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 8 of 15
JaseT
Established Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

How about making a credit card sized cheat sheet?

Type it up on your computer and use packing tape to laminate it.

Pull it out of your wallet to make a decision (ideally before you need to pay.)

I think I am going to do that!

This is exactly what I do! On the other side of the cheat sheet I have all of my due dates and statement dates for each card so that I can maintain AZEO.

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
On My Radar Cards: Nothing ATM
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 9 of 15
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

I arrange or rearrange the cards in my wallet for best rewards use. April will be easy. Freedom and Discover change bonus categories, fuel and groceries. If a card is out of rotation for a time period I remove it and leave it at home. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.