Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice on NFCU SSL

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for advice on NFCU SSL

So in essence... I could open the SSL today and pay it down 2 weeks later and when it reports the following month I can measure how big the jump was? Am I following you correctly? Thanks
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So in essence... I could open the SSL today and pay it down 2 weeks later and when it reports the following month I can measure how big the jump was? Am I following you correctly? Thanks

I would pay it down as soon as it shows up on your online profile to try to avoid them reporting 100% but if they do it's not the end of the world. 

You won't see the score gain until you pay it down, I would start checking every half hour for it to be added to your profile and make the transfer ASAP. They are manually processed by UW so it probably depends on the process of the person who enters it on whether it's been sent to the CRAs before it shows up on your profile to be able to pay. 

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Much appreciated.
Message 13 of 21
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, you can get the SSL first. However, you will have to keep your credit report constant without any new data that might impact scoring factors; e.g. CC individual and aggregate utilization, inquiries, new accounts (besides the SSL), etc.

You'll have to determine your report dates so you can determine when to pull the 3B.

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I really appreciate everyone's input here. You know credit makes us whacky at times. Lol... I've changed my mind and will go for my cli's in Dec. NFCU started me out with some real childish "baby" limits. $500 for cloc and $500 for their plat card. I will try for the increases at the 6 month mark which will be 12/10. Whew... The wait is on! Lol
Message 15 of 21
AllZero
Mega Contributor

You have no other installment loan, correct?

6 month CLI wait time is good.

You are eligible for Navy CC #2 after 91 days and 3 statements from CC # 1 approval. I would recommend dressing up your credit report before applying. Longer history with Navy hopefully will reward you with a higher credit line.
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this advice... This was my first plan of action. BUT... Credit is whacky. Lol! After reading a million comments on myfico it seems like most say go for the cli on the current card before apping for a new card. Then is the cli is denied then app for a new card. That seems backwards to me but looks like how people have the most success. Too many options. Lol
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry... No. I have no other installment loans. I have amex, disco and chase cards. Then 3 or 4 store cards. My other problem is my credit history is only 2 yrs and 4 mos. My oldest account says 7 years. Ugh... I never cared or thought too much about credit but reading on myfico for the last 3 or 4 mos has me hooked. I am addicted. Watching UFC and the Fury fight... But not really watching. I don't know who has fought and won because I am here still reading. I think it's been maybe 5 or 6 hours today alone. Geez.
Message 18 of 21
AllZero
Mega Contributor

True. A little bit backwards.

No set in stone procedure but waiting 6 months is good for CLI since they started you at $500.

That's how Navy does it. They give you "training wheels" so to speak. The 2nd card is usually the bigger limit card.

Getting the SSL should help you in raising your internal score with Navy.

So wait for the SSL to boost your FICO score and get your utilization 8.9% or below before getting card # 2.
Message 19 of 21
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry... No. I have no other installment loans. I have amex, disco and chase cards. Then 3 or 4 store cards. My other problem is my credit history is only 2 yrs and 4 mos. My oldest account says 7 years. Ugh... I never cared or thought too much about credit but reading on myfico for the last 3 or 4 mos has me hooked. I am addicted. Watching UFC and the Fury fight... But not really watching. I don't know who has fought and won because I am here still reading. I think it's been maybe 5 or 6 hours today alone. Geez.

Okay. I just wanted to make sure. If you had a car, student loan, mortgage, it would be redundant to get the SSL.

Glad you found myFICO. There is a wealth of information here to read. I'm learning something new every day. Yes, it can be time consuming, lol. 5 or 6 hours will amass to days and weeks and months, and....

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.