Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Job, Huge Debt, Credit Card Settlement, Help, Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lost Job, Huge Debt, Credit Card Settlement, Help, Advice

Need advice! We recently closed our restaurant and now have no income and lots of credit card debt. We have been loyal to Wells Fargo ( owe $89,000 for 2 CC's, 1 line of credit, and a personal student loan),  Chase ( $18,000), Discover ( $19,000), and Citibank ($16,000).  Never missing a payment in over 15 years. We probably have paid back our debt in interest over the years! We are going to try to settle this debt, now that we are jobless. We have been researching for a step by step method online and for books, but still don't see a good process that we feel confidant with.  We are old and tired now, plus taking care of aging parents and still paying our kids student loans.  We will never be able to pay this back in full. We will probably have enough money to settle for 30-50%... if all goes well with our tax returns and inheritance. I appreciate any advise and your time and expertise! ( Also, we live in Texas, if that matters ) 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Re: Lost Job, Huge Debt, Credit Card Settlement, Help, Advice

Sorry for your difficulties. It is not the end of the world.

First, kids need to pay their student loans.

Second, inheritance is not an asset.

Third, you ran a restaurant, you can work in a restaurant and make more money for less hours.

Don't give up!

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Consult with a Bankruptcy attorney.

Message 3 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Hi and welcome

I'm sorry about the circumstances that led to this.
Most lenders require an account to be charged off before they will entertain the idea of settlement
Have any/all of your accounts been charged off?
If that hasn't happened yet, but the account is delinquent, some may offer financial hardship programs. This inevitably leads to accounts being closed, but it's better than charge offs and possibility of litigation, as those are pretty large amounts
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are still current, as we just starting living with out an income. Even with hardship, we will never be able to pay these debts off before we die.   We are going to have to stop paying this month. 

Message 5 of 11
TattnallTrio
Frequent Contributor

I’d recommend filing bankrupt. If you can a Chapter 7 and be done with it. Otherwise a low Chapter 13 payment will get it taken care of.
But if you don’t qualify for a Chapter 7, you mentioned a tax return. Spend that tax refund before you file Chapter 13 and adjust your withholdings.
I’m sorry to hear about your restaurant closing and trust me, it can happen without any fault of your own. It’s just business and don’t feel bad about filing bankrupt. Save your money and move forward.
You’re right, you’ve probably paid this amount in interest.
Remove any money out of Wells Fargo if you file bankrupt. They’ve been known to freeze deposit accounts upon a notification of bankruptcy.
Capital One took care of me after my discharge with a car loan and credit card.

The care of your parents and your well being is most important. Good luck to you and God Bless
Message 6 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We are old and tired now, plus taking care of aging parents and still paying our kids student loans.  We will never be able to pay this back in full. We will probably have enough money to settle for 30-50%

Visit the Bankruptcy forum to learn more about the process. https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/bd-p/bankruptcy. Definitely read pizza1 BK7 Guide. It's very informative. 

One thing really struck a vital cord was when you said you're old and tired. And this is exactly why I suggest filing bankruptcy.

One of the things many who have taken that route say--they wish they had done it sooner rather than later. 

GL2U. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 11
sccredit
Valued Contributor

OP - in 2017 a business that I was a partner in failed.  I was on the hook for high seven figures in debt, an amount I also would have never been able to pay back.  I know exactly how you feel.  Please - explore bankruptcy as an option before you spend countless nights losing sleep over debt that you can do nothing about.  

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the kind words and good advice!

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I will definitely will look into bankruptcy. I appreciate your time!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.