cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merrill Edge: Good or bad order execution?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Merrill Edge: Good or bad order execution?

I currently use Fidelity and Schwab. I've considered moving some money to BofA to use Merrill Edge at the Platinum Honors level. I would use the account to trade some thinly traded stocks where an order might occasionally be executed over multiple trading days (and incur multiple commissions elsewhere).

I understand the fee schedule clearly enough...but how good or bad is Merrill Edge in terms of order execution?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Merrill Edge: Good or bad order execution?

I don’t know that platform but how would that be reasonably accomplished: limit order and hope for the best and just cancel if the price moves beyond the threshold?

        
Message 2 of 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:
I don’t know that platform but how would that be reasonably accomplished: limit order and hope for the best and just cancel if the price moves beyond the threshold?

Low limit orders, Good Til Canceled (waiting weeks or months for execution), small bets in each of a few securities, adequate cash to cover orders, and a relatively short average holding period (weeks or months).

I can do it well enough at Schwab, and may just continue to do so there for simplicity...even if it means paying commissions and eating into my return a little.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't see any BofA cards in your siggy, so if you don't plan to open any, the higher cash back there would not be helpful.

Have you considered You Invest? If you bank with Chase your balance counts towards the $75k Sapphire Banking (or higher for CPC), either of which will give unlimited free trades.

Message 4 of 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't see any BofA cards in your siggy, so if you don't plan to open any, the higher cash back there would not be helpful.

Have you considered You Invest? If you bank with Chase your balance counts towards the $75k Sapphire Banking (or higher for CPC), either of which will give unlimited free trades.

I may eventually get a Premium Rewards card for 2.625%. But while I hit the BBP $50k cap in 2018, I didn't exceed it by much, and I favor for now the 2.5%+ I get there (Schwab cash floor with airline miles optionality). The Merrill account would mostly be about free trades.

I'll consider You Invest. I'll look at reviews. I know You Invest only lets people invest in a limited range of products. While everything I'll be buying in this account would be stock or possibly bonds, I suppose the limited product selection gives me a little concern that their execution system might not be as good as the slightly-more-expensive competition.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.