Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Methods of tracking spending

tag
bdebtfree215
Valued Member

Methods of tracking spending

What apps/ methods do you use to budget and track spending? I use an excel spreadsheet right now but I’m thinking of trying Mint to automatically download my transactions.
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Methods of tracking spending

I don't trust any company with access to my financial accounts so I use an app called Spending Tracker to make budgets manually. 

http://www.mhriley.com/spendingtracker/index.html

Message 2 of 29
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't trust any company with access to my financial accounts so I use an app called Spending Tracker to make budgets manually. 

+ 100

I also keep my financial accounts manually.

A lot of good programs for free, or one can build your own version with any spreadsheet or use a programmable calculator  (software)

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kforce wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+ 100

I also keep my financial accounts manually.

A lot of good programs for free, or one can build your own version with any spreadsheet or use a programmable calculator  (software)

I find that doing it manually forces to think about my spending much more too so the added bonus is, I don't waste anywhere near as much as I used to. 

Message 4 of 29
bdebtfree215
Valued Member

Thanks everyone. I read a previous post talking about YNAB (You Need A Budget) and tried it out and it wasn't as comprehensive as my excel spreadsheet- think I'll stick with that. If it isn't broke why fix it, right?
Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bdebtfree215 wrote:
Thanks everyone. I read a previous post talking about YNAB (You Need A Budget) and tried it out and it wasn't as comprehensive as my excel spreadsheet- think I'll stick with that. If it isn't broke why fix it, right?

The thing with YNAB that annoys me is that you have to pay a subscription to use it. They completely killed and buried their single purchase product and replaced it with subscription as a service with inferior features and a change in philosophy according to many who used the old product. Read the comments section at the bottom of this review and you can see just how many disgruntled customers they got between 4 and new YNAB. 

https://www.alextran.org/ynab-vs-ynab4/

Message 6 of 29
TGG_1976
Contributor

I personally use Mint, but I do not grant access to all my financial institutions. I use only two credit cards for specific categories for my spending, and I have those two cards linked to Mint. Means, I basically just budget / track transactions for groceries, gas, subscriptions and such across two accounts and those are the only ones linked.

Message 7 of 29
wantitgone
Contributor

I use Kualto to manually put in my income and expenses. Can be used on the web or iPhone (not sure about android). I got a lifetime subscription at some point. I find it very helpful; it helps me envision my money for 6-12 months ahead! (Also, they put in where you can see your balance 30 years in the future. I find this mostly amusing, it's fun to see what my account balance might be when I'm 65 if my income stayed exactly the same the whole time Smiley LOL.

FICO 8 on 5/31/19 ~~ EQ: 608, TU: 545, EX: 585
BK 7 DC 7/9/19
FICO 8 on 01/31/2023 ~~ EQ: 693, TU: 677, EX: 678

NFCU CLOC $1,000

Apple Card 4,500
Williams Sonoma $1,250
NFCU CashRewards $2,500
NFCU Flagship $12,100
Navy Federal Platinum $25,000
PenFed Pathfinder $12,500
Kemba CU Platinum $3,500
Amazon Store Card (Synchrony) $1500
Paypal Credit $850
Capital One QS $2,000
Capital One Spark $2,000
Overstock Store Card $2,150

AAoA: EQ - 7y9mo, TU - 7y8mo, EX - 5yr7mo (as of 01/31/2023); INQ are 2 EQ, 6 TU, and 5 EX.

New Auto Loan with NFCU (May 2022): 32k for 3.49%/60 months

My DPs: as of January 2023, I am full-time employed, 55k/year, 2 federal consolidated loans plus 3 new student loans, had perfect payment history with 0 derogs until 90 day lates prior to filing BK in March 2019.
Message 8 of 29
bdebtfree215
Valued Member

@wantitgone wrote:

I use Kualto to manually put in my income and expenses. Can be used on the web or iPhone (not sure about android). I got a lifetime subscription at some point. I find it very helpful; it helps me envision my money for 6-12 months ahead! (Also, they put in where you can see your balance 30 years in the future. I find this mostly amusing, it's fun to see what my account balance might be when I'm 65 if my income stayed exactly the same the whole time Smiley LOL.

I've never heard of that.  I'm going to check that out.  

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wantitgone wrote:

It's an automatic delete for me when a developer tricks you into downloading and installing an app just to be greeted with a screen that forces you to sign up an account for a 30 day trial with undisclosed terms after it's over. I had to go look in the App Store to see that $4.99 a month price tag. 

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.