cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military qualification: The Manhattan Project?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
Contributor

Military qualification: The Manhattan Project?

I often see everyone on these forums talk about how great the Navy Fed Credit Union or Pen Fed Credit cards are, so here is a strange question.
My great grandfather served in WW1, highly decorated, but I dunno if that counts. My great uncles both served, one was the sole survivor in a battle at the 38th Parallel in N. Korea, the other was stationed in Germany until he became the Chief of Police in San Berdo.
My grandfather was a cryptographer and helped build the NSA, Pentagon (with N.Korean war uncle), DOD, DOE and worked on the Manhattan Project at 16, but was also a technical member of the Army (was on Enewetak when they tested the Atom Bomb in Marshall Islands in 1946, also a sole survivor).

Now I know that's kinda a lot, but all three brothers (the two uncles and grandfather) died about 3 years ago.
My mother also went to school on a strange nuclear base in Ridgecrest, CA. ... but I have NO idea if that means anything! She says she doesn't know!
My family never, ever talked to me about their private service.
I'm totally afraid to ask since they've died!!!
But since they are dead, and if their files are capable of being found openly, do I qualify for places like a Naval CU or the Pen Fed type accounts?
I've been afraid to ask, and I would call the NSA or Pentagon, but that seems like I might sound completely retarded for asking about my eligibility at a military credit union!!
Like, they would just tell me "Go ahead and try, but we can't guarantee your family would be acceptable, yadda, yadda ..."
Or just think I must be thee most stupidly naive member of my family and, "Duh! Of course you do. Wow, how dumb can you be?"
🤤
Yeah. I know.
I should just ask.
I feel badly for not knowing more, tho.
Like, if I asked, I might get treated badly.
Now I dunno wth to do.
Thoughts? 😓
Starting Score: 630
Current Score: 768/798/803
Goal Score: 820+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Began in Jan 2017.
As of March 2018, just bought a new solar home!

Planning for: Chase Saphire Preferred
Am Ex Blue Everyday (Got TODAY!!!)
Marriott Bonvoy or Visa Sig and Hyatt Visa Card (DONE! SPG Business, baby!!!)
A Viaso card (all for Japanese travel)
And to open a High Yield Savings and CD investment, and maybe look into ETFs. (DONE! ALL!)

Amex BCE - $14000, Citi Rewards+ - $17500, Citi DC - $12500, Nordstrom VS - $5000, Discover IT - $15700, CareCredit - $15000, Cap One Venture - $6000, Amazon - $6500, Wayfair - $4900, Simply Be - $1200, Lane Bryant Platinum - $1900, Cap One Quicksilver (co-sign/au) - $1250, Victoria Secret - $750, Paypal MC - $900 ☹
(About 103k in credit. So Far ...) Updated 11/14/2019
5 REPLIES 5
Regular Contributor

Re: Military qualification: The Manhattan Project?

I got in based on my grandfather's service in World War 2. Gather whatever information you can find and give NFCU a call. Penfed can be joined through alternate routes right on their website.

EQ8: 732 | TU8: 728 | EX8: 726
EQ9: 753 | TU9: 723 | EX9: 748

AMEX PLATINUM NPSL | AMEX GOLD NPSL | AMEX BCP $6,000 | AMEX SPG $1,000 | CSP $6,000 | CFU $4,500 | SLATE $3,000 | FREEDOM $2,000 | DISCOVER CHROME $4,100 | DISCOVER IT $10,000 | CAP1 QS $1,500 | NFCU GOREWARDS $11,500 | NFCU FLAGSHIP $22,000 | NFCU PLAT $11,900 | BBVA COMPASS $4,000 | HOME DEPOT $10,000 | OVERSTOCK $21,000 | AMAZON STORE CARD $6,000 | LOWES STORE CARD $12,000 | NFCU CLOC $10,000 | PENFED PLOC $25,000 |

Message 2 of 6
Legendary Contributor

With appropriate proof of identity that entitles one to access, you can obtain DOD service records of deceased relatives from their national records center in St. Louis.  I would start by obtaining service records, which may be basis for supporting your claims.

It also makes very interesting reading.......

Message 3 of 6
Established Contributor

It might be hard to get the records for the uncles if they have direct descendents. I was able to get my uncle's WW2 records only because he never had children and his wife was also deceased.

Message 4 of 6

@TheFrauleinwrote:
I often see everyone on these forums talk about how great the Navy Fed Credit Union or Pen Fed Credit cards are, so here is a strange question.
My great grandfather served in WW1, highly decorated, but I dunno if that counts. My great uncles both served, one was the sole survivor in a battle at the 38th Parallel in N. Korea, the other was stationed in Germany until he became the Chief of Police in San Berdo.
My grandfather was a cryptographer and helped build the NSA, Pentagon (with N.Korean war uncle), DOD, DOE and worked on the Manhattan Project at 16, but was also a technical member of the Army (was on Enewetak when they tested the Atom Bomb in Marshall Islands in 1946, also a sole survivor).

Now I know that's kinda a lot, but all three brothers (the two uncles and grandfather) died about 3 years ago.
My mother also went to school on a strange nuclear base in Ridgecrest, CA. ... but I have NO idea if that means anything! She says she doesn't know!
But since they are dead, and if their files are capable of being found openly, do I qualify for places like a Naval CU or the Pen Fed type accounts?
I've been afraid to ask, and I would call the NSA or Pentagon, but that seems like I might sound completely retarded for asking about my eligibility at a military credit union!!
Like, they would just tell me "Go ahead and try, but we can't guarantee your family would be acceptable, yadda, yadda ..."
Or just think I must be thee most stupidly naive member of my family and, "Duh! Of course you do. Wow, how dumb can you be?"
🤤
Yeah. I know.
I should just ask.
Now I dunno wth to do.
Thoughts? 😓

Gaining membership to PenFed isn't hard even for non-military, so if it were me I would concentrate on the NFCU eligibility.

I know that you can be eligible based on a grandparent's service, but I honestly don't know about great-grandparent; you would need to call NFCU and ask. 

If using a great-grandparent isn't permitted, you might be able to use your own parent as a go-between.  In any case NFCU is great to deal with, and I'm sure they have dealt with this situation before.

Let us know how it goes!  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
Super Contributor

@TheFrauleinwrote:

🤤
Yeah. I know.
I should just ask.
Now I dunno wth to do.
Thoughts? 😓

PenFed does not require a military connection.

NFCU and Service CU will accept you for membership based on your relatives' service, and there are numerous reports that you don't need documentation or extensive detail.

Total revolving limits 732500 (606000 reporting) 12/4/20 FICO 8 scores: EQ 715 TU 760 EX 735
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.