Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile deposit not ours

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Mobile deposit not ours

Call your bank's customer support number ASAP - i.e. don't wait until Tuesday to call if they're open tonight - and tell them there was a deposit made to your account that you don't recognize. They'll open up an internal investigation to figure out what happened but it was almost certainly due to human error, and when all the i's are dotted and t's crossed they'll withdraw from your account and credit it correctly.

The sooner they know about the error the sooner the rightful owner will get their money, and not having that $800 available when they expect it could put them into a real bind in the short term.

This happens sometimes in-branch when a depositor writes down the wrong account number on a deposit slip or the teller makes a mistake typing in the account number when processing the deposit. 

Happened to me last year (I think I mentioned it in GC) when I discovered an unexpected upper-4-figure deposit to my checking account.  Someone deposited some checks and the teller inadvertently reversed 2 digits so the entire deposit was credited to my account.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 11 of 22
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@coldfusion wrote:

Call your bank's customer support number ASAP - i.e. don't wait until Tuesday to call if they're open tonight - and tell them there was a deposit made to your account that you don't recognize. They'll open up an internal investigation to figure out what happened but it was almost certainly due to human error, and when all the i's are dotted and t's crossed they'll withdraw from your account and credit it correctly.

The sooner they know about the error the sooner the rightful owner will get their money, and not having that $800 available when they expect it could put them into a real bind in the short term.

This happens sometimes in-branch when a depositor writes down the wrong account number on a deposit slip or the teller makes a mistake typing in the account number when processing the deposit. 

Happened to me last year (I think I mentioned it in GC) when I discovered an unexpected upper-4-figure deposit to my checking account.  Someone deposited some checks and the teller inadvertently reversed 2 digits so the entire deposit was credited to my account.

@coldfusion 

Will do . Getting a live rep is quiet difficult I hit lost my card option still got a message I will keep trying . This is a very small town local bank .

Weird though because it's a mobile deposit and it's a Sunday and they were even closed yesterday as well.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 12 of 22
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Don't go crazy over it, I suggest you do your diligence if for no other reason than to have a clear conscience but there's no moral obligation here for you to go through hoops either.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 13 of 22
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

Just can't figure out how it got deposited to our account, I did zero bank transactions this weekend .

That's mine! I was wondering where I put itSmiley Very Happy

Sorry for the joke....

Did you already do your taxes?  (not a refund?)  ETA: it was definitely a mobile deposit? (scratch the other thought then)

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 14 of 22
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@GApeachy wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

Just can't figure out how it got deposited to our account, I did zero bank transactions this weekend .

That's mine! I was wondering where I put itSmiley Very Happy

Sorry for the joke....

Did you already do your taxes?  (not a refund?)  ETA: it was definitely a mobile deposit? (scratch the other thought then)

Nope we owe again this one of these years we will break even 😂

Nope definitely mobile deposit and not listed on my mobile deposit history so I know it's not ours .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 15 of 22
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I called this am they claim it was a computer error? So they reversed the deposit . It still makes me kinda uneasy though but hey it's not like I don't have other banks I could move our money too 😂

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 16 of 22
GApeachy
Super Contributor

I hope whoever didn't receive their funds in a timely manner didn't bounce....and if so, hope they covered the charges and/or let pymt process.  At least it happened right here at the Holiday Weekend.

eta:  did you ask how the computer messed up between an image and log on credentials?

Message 17 of 22
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Jnbmom 

Did they explain how that kind of mixup can happen?  I mean you have to capture an image and log into your acct. in order to Mobile Deposit.  I am curious how a computer error happens like that?

Message 18 of 22
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@GApeachy wrote:

@Jnbmom 

Did they explain how that kind of mixup can happen?  I mean you have to capture an image and log into your acct. in order to Mobile Deposit.  I am curious how a computer error happens like that?

@GApeachy 

Ok very weird apparently this was a deposit we made on 4/18/19 and for some unknown reason the computer redeposited some accounts this weekend for that mobile deposit on that particular date Some  kind of glitch on several accounts😳But we were not the only ones, but it was good  to know this wasn't somebody else's deposit.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 19 of 22
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@Jnbmom 

@GApeachy 

Ok very weird apparently this was a deposit we made on 4/18/19 and for some unknown reason the computer redeposited some accounts this weekend for that mobile deposit on that particular date Some  kind of glitch on several accounts😳But we were not the only ones, but it was good  to know this wasn't somebody else's deposit.

Okay, that makes more sense.  But at least they know you're an honest person....Kudos Sistah!

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.