cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My BAD experience using Bill Pay to pay my CC balances.

tag
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Re: My BAD experience using Bill Pay to pay my CC balances.

@OmarR wrote:

@MakingProgress wrote:

@OmarR wrote:

Also, I am in the minority, but I don't enter my debit card/checking account info into ANYONE'S database, whether it be pizzahut.com or mycreditcard.com. No one is 100% hackproof. Autopay does save a lot of people, but autopay and pull payments are not for me. To each their own.

Your bank can be Hacked just like any other computer system even if you don't use online access your bank stores your account infromation on computers and can be hacked. 

Yeah, I know....that's why I wrote that no one is 100% hackproof.

I am not going to keep my money in my mattress and I am not going to improve my odds at getting hacked by entering my checking account information in as many  databases as I come across.

I don't understand your point.

My point is you are taking a just a big of a risk not using pull payments as you are using them.   Pull vs. Push is a personal choice and they both have their pluses and minuses.   I just don't think you are any better protected one way or the other. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 21 of 24
OmarR
Established Contributor

@MakingProgress wrote:

@OmarR wrote:

@MakingProgress wrote:

@OmarR wrote:

Also, I am in the minority, but I don't enter my debit card/checking account info into ANYONE'S database, whether it be pizzahut.com or mycreditcard.com. No one is 100% hackproof. Autopay does save a lot of people, but autopay and pull payments are not for me. To each their own.

Your bank can be Hacked just like any other computer system even if you don't use online access your bank stores your account infromation on computers and can be hacked. 

I am not going to keep my money in my mattress and I am not going to improve my odds at getting hacked by entering my checking account information in as many  databases as I come across.

My point is you are taking a just a big of a risk not using pull payments as you are using them.   Pull vs. Push is a personal choice and they both have their pluses and minuses.   I just don't think you are any better protected one way or the other. 

Only one outside entity has my checking/debit account info, and thats my mortgage company. And it's a checking account that has just enough money to cover expenses.

As I said before, I can't do anything about USAA themselves since that is my main bank.

There are no external databases that store my main debit/checking info.

Yes, I am better protected.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarR wrote:

@MakingProgress wrote:

@OmarR wrote:

@MakingProgress wrote:

@OmarR wrote:

Only one outside entity has my checking/debit account info, and thats my mortgage company. And it's a checking account that has just enough money to cover expenses.

As I said before, I can't do anything about USAA themselves since that is my main bank.

It depends on the bill pay implementation your bank uses. Most of them send the payment right from your checking account which means your account numbers all get exchanged electronically anyway. 

Message 23 of 24
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@OmarR wrote:

@MakingProgress wrote:

@OmarR wrote:

@MakingProgress wrote:

@OmarR wrote:

It depends on the bill pay implementation your bank uses. Most of them send the payment right from your checking account which means your account numbers all get exchanged electronically anyway. 

Agreed with that.

Hence why I push all my payments from my "secondary play" account. Limited exposure.

Even with that being said, a lot of companies (some of them my former employers) do not save the FULL push information once the transaction has cleared. We would save the last 4 #'s of an account after 7-10 business days. Some would ONLY save the last 4-6 #'s of an account from the beginning, period.

For pull payments, we had access to all the info, period. All day long. Because the customer entered it into our database.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.