Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NASA CU membership

tag
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

Re: NASA CU membership

@Anonymous 

Like i mentioned my Son gave his SSN , DL and a copy of his Utility bill and POI. But, NASA Fcu wanted a copy of his SS card and he was not comfortable with the request. So he cancelled the application.  Which is his choice. 

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gingerflower  got it Smiley Happy

@gingerflower wrote:

@Anonymous 

Like i mentioned my Son gave his SSN , DL and a copy of his Utility bill and POI. But, NASA Fcu wanted a copy of his SS card and he was not comfortable with the request. So he cancelled the application.  Which is his choice. 

Message 12 of 17
USMC_Winger
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@gingerflower Even with all those 3 docs, they declined my app recently for reasons of being Unable to verify identity. luckily no inquiry was pulled.

I tried to join NASA FCU a few months ago, too.  They took my drivers licence, SS card, and since I don't pay for utilities separately from my rent, they took my apartment lease and vehicle registration, did an HP, and still denied my application due to inability to verify my identity.  I lost 9 points on my EQ FICO 8 score, 13 on my EQ FICO 9 score, and I've got nothing to show for it.

NASA FCU is using the same membership approval software as SDFCU, which took the same information, did the HP, and denied me as well, so I think they're both using the same contractor that doesn't like something about my file.  I seriously doubt they can't verify my identity, when everyone else can with the same documents.

FICOs:

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@USMC_Winger well, I did applied both of them NASA and SDFCU, SDFCU was a successful. I think it's more of geo location and some flags based on a software or something. I will trying NASA in future but don't wanna try again since it's a HP. My friend wasted a inquiry just like you but you should call them and trying to talk to someone. Because since mine couldn't verify they didn't pull the credit. You don't wanna waste a HP for situation like this. 

Message 14 of 17
USMC_Winger
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@USMC_Winger well, I did applied both of them NASA and SDFCU, SDFCU was a successful. I think it's more of geo location and some flags based on a software or something. I will trying NASA in future but don't wanna try again since it's a HP. My friend wasted a inquiry just like you but you should call them and trying to talk to someone. Because since mine couldn't verify they didn't pull the credit. You don't wanna waste a HP for situation like this. 

I did call them for reconsideration.  They insisted that I travel across the country to Washington, D.C., to show them my documents in person.  They normally SP Experian for membership, but for some reason, NASA FCU HP'd EQ, instead.  SDFCU had already HP'd me 4 months earlier on Experian, so that may be why the same contractor decided I needed another HP on a different CR.

FICOs:

Message 15 of 17
MrT_521
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous  Exactly how I joined 5 years ago with American consumer council.  I believe currently NASA fcu been asking for copy of ID Social security card prove of address with a Utility or Bank statement. Hope this helps.

@Anonymous wrote:

@gingerflower Even with all those 3 docs, they declined my app recently for reasons of being Unable to verify identity. luckily no inquiry was pulled.

@gingerflower wrote:

@Anonymous 

@USMC_Winger wrote:

I tried to join NASA FCU a few months ago, too.  They took my drivers licence, SS card, and since I don't pay for utilities separately from my rent, they took my apartment lease and vehicle registration, did an HP, and still denied my application due to inability to verify my identity.  I lost 9 points on my EQ FICO 8 score, 13 on my EQ FICO 9 score, and I've got nothing to show for it.

NASA FCU is using the same membership approval software as SDFCU, which took the same information, did the HP, and denied me as well, so I think they're both using the same contractor that doesn't like something about my file.  I seriously doubt they can't verify my identity, when everyone else can with the same documents.

Last year (2020) I applied for membership at SDFCU, PenFed, and NASA FCU, in that order. SDFCU and PenFed were both a major pain in the proverbial neck to get the identity verification processed successfully. It was greatly complicated by the fact that I am an expat. I do have an official US address, but I didn't have a lease agreement or utility bill with that address. In both cases, we did eventually come up with workable solutions, and I was able to join. PenFed had even told me at one point that there was nothing they could do. I resisted a bit, saying that there must be a solution for expats. We found one.

NASA FCU was a breeze. I was immediately approved without verifying any ID at all. I don't remember the details, but IIRC I uploaded my driver's license or passport during the original application process. However, I was approved with no issue at all. NASA FCU was by far the simplest of the three.

Personal Cards

Business Cards

Debit Cards

FICO 8 Scores (as of Dec 14, 2022)

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrT_521 thanks for the info. From what I understand from recent applications i sent to multiple CU is that sometimes these things vary from one to another. They uses mostly same software to verify people and if the person who manually review found any doubts or issues they declined it or asked for more docs. 

I think some these have issues if ever had any issues with former banks like unpaid stuff or rejections.

Most of the CUs now asks for copy SSN + DL and utility or lease within 30 days. Which means if anything is older, you're out!!

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.