cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NCFU - do step parents count to get you in?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NCFU - do step parents count to get you in?

Looking into NCFU.  My stepdad was in the marines.  does this count?  it says that step children count to get you in but doesnt mention step parents.

My maternal grandfather was also in the marines, but i have no relationship with him or way to contract him.  My step grandfather was in the army and my uncle (dads sisters husband) was in the air force.  

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: NCFU - do step parents count to get you in?

@Anonymous wrote:

Looking into NCFU.  My stepdad was in the marines.  does this count?  it says that step children count to get you in but doesnt mention step parents.

My maternal grandfather was also in the marines, but i have no relationship with him or way to contract him.  My step grandfather was in the army and my uncle (dads sisters husband) was in the air force.  

You are eligible through your grandfather. Call NFCU. They are open 24/7/365. They will talk you thorough the membership application process. Hope to read of your membership approval.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't need to be in contact with your grandfather. If NFCU needs verification, they have a way to get discharge forms. I qualified through my wife's father and my own father. One has passed away. The other I spoke with last 28 years ago. All was well. 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to answer original question yes step parents count as that's how I got in, and like others have said grandfather would also work

Message 4 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous, Please keep us posted on your NFCU membership progress?

Message 5 of 13
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You don't need to be in contact with your grandfather. If NFCU needs verification, they have a way to get discharge forms. I qualified through my wife's father and my own father. One has passed away. The other I spoke with last 28 years ago. All was well. 

My grandfather (moms father) was in the military. He has long since passed. Does this still qualify me or would he have to be living now?

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're good.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You're good.

Would i be able to use my grandfather?  i have no contact with him.  so i wouldnt be able to like get his drivers license number or anything.

Message 8 of 13
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You're good.

Would i be able to use my grandfather?  i have no contact with him.  so i wouldnt be able to like get his drivers license number or anything.

Yes you're eligible from your grandfathers service.  I joined through my grandfathers service in WW2. They asked me for his name, DOB, branch of service and what kind of discharge he had. Asking me if it was honorable, medical etc. 

It's been a little while now but I think those were the most important questions regarding my grandfather.

I think you'll be just fine. Hope we here about your new membership!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 9 of 13
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

Thank you guys so much for this information. My grandfather was in the army and was discharged back in the 40's. Unfortunately he passed away when I was very young. I never thought that this would make me eligible for membership until I saw this thread. I called Navy today and asked them, and was told yes that I was eligible. They told me that I might need a copy of his DD 214, but they told me how to obtain it online. They took my application over the phone and then sent me an email to verify my identity by uploading my documents. So excited right now. Thank you guys. 

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.