Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU ACCOUNT CLOSURE

tag
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

NFCU ACCOUNT CLOSURE

Went to sign in to my NFCU accounts on Thursday night just to make sure everything was ok. I do not use them anymore kept anout $50 in the account since moving all funds to Chase. Got a message saying my account was locked needed to reset password tried to do that with my debit card got a message to call. Gentleman says I need to speak with security in the morning. Called and was on hold and then my mom comes in and says she tried using her credit and debit card and they were both declined she called and they transfered her to security. So a lady finally comes on the line and asks have I been calling in about my account and I said no I dont even use this account and more she then preceeds to say that my account was closed and the restriction was permenant and that I would need to go to a branch to withdraw my funds. I said why she gave the bs excuse of for security reasons we cant disclose that. So then my mom gets on the phone and so she was like the reason your sons account is closed and yours was restricted is because we have proof that he called in regarding your accounts and my mom said i gave permission she said that it does not matter I needed to be a JOINT OWNER to speak on the account and that I violated their membership terms and condtions by doing so. She sent a code to her phone and unlocked her accounts and has not had a problem since. No love lost for me. I still have Penfed , Andrews, NIH Federal as back up credit unions if I need an auto loan or something.

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 50K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K
@ 1.74
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: NFCU ACCOUNT CLOSURE

@Harvey26 wrote:

Went to sign in to my NFCU accounts on Thursday night just to make sure everything was ok. I do not use them anymore kept anout $50 in the account since moving all funds to Chase. Got a message saying my account was locked needed to reset password tried to do that with my debit card got a message to call. Gentleman says I need to speak with security in the morning. Called and was on hold and then my mom comes in and says she tried using her credit and debit card and they were both declined she called and they transfered her to security. So a lady finally comes on the line and asks have I been calling in about my account and I said no I dont even use this account and more she then preceeds to say that my account was closed and the restriction was permenant and that I would need to go to a branch to withdraw my funds. I said why she gave the bs excuse of for security reasons we cant disclose that. So then my mom gets on the phone and so she was like the reason your sons account is closed and yours was restricted is because we have proof that he called in regarding your accounts and my mom said i gave permission she said that it does not matter I needed to be a JOINT OWNER to speak on the account and that I violated their membership terms and condtions by doing so. She sent a code to her phone and unlocked her accounts and has not had a problem since. No love lost for me. I still have Penfed , Andrews, NIH Federal as back up credit unions if I need an auto loan or something.

Technically they're correct but IMO cancelling your account (and presumably your membership) is a bit thin.   Sorry to read this.

Moving forward elsewhere if and when this comes up again the typical accepted procedure is to call in with your mother present and have her ID herself and explain to the CSR who you are and that she is authorizing you to speak in her behalf on the call, and then handing you the phone.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 22
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion  Yeah my mom explained that and she just wasnt trying to hear it my mom was more upset than I was.

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 50K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K
@ 1.74
Message 3 of 22
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Harvey26, Very sorry for your acct. closureSmiley Sad

Message 4 of 22
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Harvey26  That is unfortunate about your account closer. Your present self may not care. Your future self may? I would suggest seeing what you can do to re-instate your membership.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, sorry to hear. I do this kinda thing for my mom all the time because she doesn't speak the best English and doesn't like to talk on the phone. I didn't realize accounts could be closed for this.

Message 6 of 22
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, sorry to hear. I do this kinda thing for my mom all the time because she doesn't speak the best English and doesn't like to talk on the phone. I didn't realize accounts could be closed for this.

It's a privacy violation and they could be sued for disclosing any account information. Certain states allow spouses to have access, but that's about it unless permission is given by the account holder or it's a joint account.

Message 7 of 22
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@AllZero  Nope I am not even going to wste my time trying to fight a battle that I am sure I will lose they have been good to me. But no need to cry over spilled milk.

@ 1.74
Message 8 of 22
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Harvey26 wrote:

@AllZero  Nope I am not even going to wste my time trying to fight a battle that I am sure I will lose they have been good to me. But no need to cry over spilled milk.

Ya, it's Probably best to hold off.

Message 9 of 22
sxa001
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My wife handles a lot of business for her mom for this exact same reason.  I guess they need to be a bit more careful about how they go about it, I had never heard of this kind of thing happening but in this day in age where security and privacy are much more important and the amount of fraud that happens I can see banks and other companies cracking down on it.  Using the Spanish line and having her mom on the call at all times might be the best way moving forward. 

Really sorry to hear the OP lost their account, a lesson learned for sure.  I do think that it would be better to fight the battle now if you ever want to fight it later because asking for forgivness later down the road may be more difficult.  I know emotions are running high right now, and it is a frustrating situation but the rules are there to protect you and your mother.  

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.