Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Back Door Number - Deployment Benefits

tag
Sadie5150
Regular Contributor

NFCU Back Door Number - Deployment Benefits

Is there someone that can guide me in the right direction?  I need to get ahold of someone in the recon department of NFCU.  My son is in the military and was deployed.  NF was notified and he was informed that account would freeze and no payments would be due for 90 days.  Well, a 30 day late came up on his credit report and after messaging them through their message center, we received a generic response stating that they can't remove accurate reporting.. so frustrating.  We have written notice stating that his payments were suspended for 90 days.   Can someone help me?  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
mrjerry
Regular Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Back Door Number

Message 2 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU Back Door Number - Deployment Benefits

Hi @Sadie5150, I've made a minor update to your thread subject and I'm moving it to the 'Personal Finance' board for additional exposure.

--UB

Message 3 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Sadie5150 wrote:

Is there someone that can guide me in the right direction?  I need to get ahold of someone in the recon department of NFCU.  My son is in the military and was deployed.  NF was notified and he was informed that account would freeze and no payments would be due for 90 days.  Well, a 30 day late came up on his credit report and after messaging them through their message center, we received a generic response stating that they can't remove accurate reporting.. so frustrating.  We have written notice stating that his payments were suspended for 90 days.   Can someone help me?  

I'm sorry you and your son are having to deal with this.  Smiley Frustrated

I'm assuming you have a POA for your son?  If so, you should consider calling the number on the written notice you received that said the payments were suspended.  Secure messaging is great for some things, but this is likely going to require a phone call.

I handled banking for one of my brothers years ago when he was deployed, so I understand the frustration you're experiencing.

Message 4 of 11
Sadie5150
Regular Contributor

@UncleB thank you for your advice.  I was finally able to get through to an actual supervisor that looked at the account and see that the reporting was incorrect.  She assured me this would be handled and an update would be sent to credit bureaus.  I'm hoping this will be the end of it.  She did email me a short verification of conversation, but only after I insisted I have something in writing of conversation details.  Should I dispute the late and send the email as documentation?  Or wait and see if NFCU follows through with their promise of correction?

Message 5 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Sadie5150 wrote:

@UncleB thank you for your advice.  I was finally able to get through to an actual supervisor that looked at the account and see that the reporting was incorrect.  She assured me this would be handled and an update would be sent to credit bureaus.  I'm hoping this will be the end of it.  She did email me a short verification of conversation, but only after I insisted I have something in writing of conversation details.  Should I dispute the late and send the email as documentation?  Or wait and see if NFCU follows through with their promise of correction?

I would wait a few weeks first to give them a chance to fix it.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Sadie5150 wrote:

I'm glad you were able to get to someone who could put "eyes" on the account and get things straightened out! Smiley Happy

NFCU has a really good record for doing what they promise.  Since they are a military-centered organization and your issue is related to military benefits I feel really good that this will be cared for.

You will be able to directly contact the supervisor again if need be (and you also have the email) so if it were me I would give them a chance to take care of it.  If you dispute it now, the credit bureau(s) will reach-out to NFCU which will then involve additional folks (and likely other departments) at NFCU possibly complicating matters.  You still have that option as a "last resort," of course.

Message 7 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The most important thing to recognize up front is that the the process to fix this may take some number of weeks to complete.

Do not dispute this with any credit bureau at any point until other avenues have been completely exhausted.

if NFCU does not confirm with you in writing within 30 days - you have to give them a reasonable amount of time to fix the problem - that they have corrected the error go ahead and first file a complaint with the CFPB.  The CFPB may handle the complaint themselves or they may respond and tell you to file a complaint directly with the NCUA.

Either way, once your complaint has been reviewed and confirmed to be both non-frivolous and actionable NFCU will be contacted and will be expected to respond in detail to whichever agency contacted them, usually within 30 days.  

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 11
Sadie5150
Regular Contributor

GOOD NEWS.... my son got an alert this morning that his Experian report had been updated.  I went online to his Experian account and not only did the 30 day delete, they increased his credit limit by $5000... Equifax and TU remain derogatory, but I'm assuming they'll be updating with the same information soon.  
This makes me so happy as it relieves a horrible stressor from my sons mind.  He's just 21 and has worked so hard to build himself an excellent credit profile.   
I'm honestly not sure why he even did this deferment in the first place.  He only owes $900 on the account.   He said he panicked a bit when he was told he was leaving and didn't know if he'd even have his phone to access his account for payments.. 🙄 

21 and learning.... lol

Message 9 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Sadie5150 wrote:

GOOD NEWS.... my son got an alert this morning that his Experian report had been updated.  I went online to his Experian account and not only did the 30 day delete, they increased his credit limit by $5000... Equifax and TU remain derogatory, but I'm assuming they'll be updating with the same information soon.  
This makes me so happy as it relieves a horrible stressor from my sons mind.  He's just 21 and has worked so hard to build himself an excellent credit profile.   
I'm honestly not sure why he even did this deferment in the first place.  He only owes $900 on the account.   He said he panicked a bit when he was told he was leaving and didn't know if he'd even have his phone to access his account for payments.. 🙄 

21 and learning.... lol

Good news, indeed!  Smiley Very Happy

I'm glad to hear that it looks like NFCU is making things right, and I'm sure the updates on the other two bureaus are likely in the works as well. 

Also, congrats to DS on the CLI!  I know this has been stressful for you both, but hopefully the CLI at least helped make up for it (a little, anyway). Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.