Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU CLOC @ $500!? REALLY!!??

tag
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

NFCU CLOC @ $500!? REALLY!!??

so I went for the cloc yesterday afternoon.  around 330a I woke up to raid the kitchen and noticed an email from them.  honestly I thought I was seeing things.  a $ 500 counter offer to my $15K request...on what planet does this make sense...850, 0%, dti nill, $25k nfcu card (seldom used) no inq on eq, no credit in 2+ years, etc.  sort of laughing and semi-insulted I called them and asked for another review.  the csr was proud to say that I got the lowest rate and I am like for what, so I can finance a rake and a few bags of potting mix at the lowest rate and she laughed.  I offered to upload the docs I just got from my pnc $66k bloc a week ago.  it floors me, how can a lender be so far off or so different than another?  I would have used pedfed as one of my cars if through them but 17.99 is a bit rich.  I know, I know, its nothing personal its just credit but really lol

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Fico82
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU CLOC @ $500!? REALLY!!??

Lol @ the potting mix and rake . That gave me a good laugh. But seriously with stats like yours maybe it was a misprint of 2 zeros missing at the end !

Message 2 of 37
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@bourgogne wrote:

so I went for the cloc yesterday afternoon.  around 330a I woke up to raid the kitchen and noticed an email from them.  honestly I thought I was seeing things.  a $ 500 counter offer to my $15K request...on what planet does this make sense...850, 0%, dti nill, $25k nfcu card (seldom used) no inq on eq, no credit in 2+ years, etc.  sort of laughing and semi-insulted I called them and asked for another review.  the csr was proud to say that I got the lowest rate and I am like for what, so I can finance a rake and a few bags of potting mix at the lowest rate and she laughed.  I offered to upload the docs I just got from my pnc $66k bloc a week ago.  it floors me, how can a lender be so far off or so different than another?  I would have used pedfed as one of my cars if through them but 17.99 is a bit rich.  I know, I know, its nothing personal its just credit but really lol

Sorry about that amount but that potting mix and rake financing line is golden 😂

Message 3 of 37
iced
Valued Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

Do you keep only a small amount in their checking account? If so, maybe they figured that's all they felt was warranted. Maybe they figured you had enough lines of credit elsewhere. Maybe they don't like their money being used for more than rakes and potting soil.

It makes me wish I could get into the banking business with all these loans I see at at stupid interest rates. I'm ok with loaning $15,000 out to low-risk people/businesses at even 8% interest. If only there were more Mainvest-like options out there, but I digress...

Message 4 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your scores are too high for $15K, they need to be less than 700 for best results with NFCU.

Message 5 of 37
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

I just talked with another nfcu csr and she said the $ 500 increase for the conditional approval got rejected a 2nd time.  she also said she has been in the cloc area for 6 years and that UW never changes their mind on the approved amount.  I dont know if this is true or not.  so my options are to just take it, use it a bit and cli it at some point in the future and hope it will grow or turn it down.  this has a very cap1 feeling to it all

I could also upload a note to them and try to understand why exactly they are coming up with this amount.  I could also include some pics of the bloc I just got approved for and tell them because it does not have checking to me its a paperweight.  basically be business like and try and reason with them.  I have 13 days to accept the $ 500 or do better or turn it down.

I could also try penfed, I dont have a checking account with them so the neg is that it could result in 2 hard pulls with unknown results

I have a credit card with both, I dont use the cards with either and i dont have banking relationships with either

seems so odd to get bloc one day for doing bascially nothing and now I feel like I am back in high school

open to comments or suggestions.  at this point I leaning towards the letter upload route

Thx

Message 6 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well you can buy a rake and potting soil but I wouldn't let that balance report Smiley Very Happy  Funny comment BTW.

Seriously though, your profile is perfect and the decision doesn't make sense but perhaps you have temporarily hit their internal limit for the moment?

Message 7 of 37
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

A rake & potting soil?? You need to think bigger, you could finance a swimming pool with that . . .

Message 8 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit unions generally don’t like to give loans to people who won’t use them. I think your lack of credit use is working against you in this case because they would rather lend to people who will use it. 

Message 9 of 37
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

The problem i see is that the Cloc wasnt sponsered by ChaseSmiley Wink

On the real, maybe they saw nonuse of their 25k cc and saw all your exposure with Chase snd figured $500 was sufficient. Even Navy can think someone has too much credit.
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.