Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU CLOC Approved before CC!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU CLOC Approved before CC!!!!

Well I think NFCU is beginning to like me but they are taking things slow lol!

I was approved for an auto loan last week and read that they could reuse the same pull for another loan product so I apped last night for a cloc ($7500). It had to be referred to the consumer lending dept and then this morning they pulled again, this time TU (arghhh) but it's approved. Should I recon for the 15k? Won't be app'ing for a card with them until I prove myself with some auto payments. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU CLOC Approved before CC!!!!

congrats!

I think they are still trying to figure me out. I was denied an auto loan at less than 100% LTV, but approved for CashRewards card. I'm just going to keep that relationship growing and see what happens after 90-180 days. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval! I would hold off on reconning the Cloc. Keep it open for 6 mos and then request an increase if you want more. If Nfcu had to pull another bureau to make their final decision then it sounded like you were at the cusp between approval for your original asking amount. I was approved for my asking amt of 5k right off the bat. I waited 6 full months before asking for more & they approved. Went from 5k to 12k.. perhaps I left $ on the table when I asked for no more than 12k but I'm okay with that.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the credit card approval! NFCU is proving a bit difficult to pin down but at least we are in and starting somewhere. 

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just might hold off. My reasoning for doing so was to utilize the same pull since it is good for 30 days. I really wouldn't want another EQ pull just for a CLI on a CLOC that I won't use. 

On another note your rebuild (in your siggy) looks awesome! Had no idea that Amazon Prime and VentureOne were BK friendly? I burned syncrony thought so it probably wouldnt work for me. Capital One has been generous with me but I've found it hard to get unsecured lines. 

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just might hold off. My reasoning for doing so was to utilize the same pull since it is good for 30 days. I really wouldn't want another EQ pull just for a CLI on a CLOC that I won't use. 

On another note your rebuild (in your siggy) looks awesome! Had no idea that Amazon Prime and VentureOne were BK friendly? I burned syncrony thought so it probably wouldnt work for me. Capital One has been generous with me but I've found it hard to get unsecured lines. 

CapOne is very BK friendly and Synchrony is too based on my personal experience. CapOne was my first cards out of BK & they were originally the platinum & quicksilver one that were product change over to the Venture & Quicksilver no annual fees. I burned both creditors in BK but CapOne let me in right away & Synchrony approved me 6 mos out. I'm laying low for a while and letting my cards grow... I have racked up a good amount of inquiries the past year 😔a good portion are Nfcu inquiries. Well, GL on your credit journey! 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yeah! CapOne has been good to me so far. I got a 2K SL almost immediately and then a $200 CLI after like 3 statements. Just PC'ed from Platinum to QS with no AF. I'm super stoked about that since I put everything on my cards up to $300 and pay it off the moment it posts to the balance, now I'll be able to earn some cashback. I know synchrony can be hit or miss so I'll hold off on that one. I'm really tempted to app for a NFCU CC since it's been about 5.5 months but I know what you mean about all those INQ. I only have about 3-4 on each bureau but they are all from gaining membership to CUs and not really even from apping for credit cards. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh yeah! CapOne has been good to me so far. I got a 2K SL almost immediately and then a $200 CLI after like 3 statements. Just PC'ed from Platinum to QS with no AF. I'm super stoked about that since I put everything on my cards up to $300 and pay it off the moment it posts to the balance, now I'll be able to earn some cashback. I know synchrony can be hit or miss so I'll hold off on that one. I'm really tempted to app for a NFCU CC since it's been about 5.5 months but I know what you mean about all those INQ. I only have about 3-4 on each bureau but they are all from gaining membership to CUs and not really even from apping for credit cards. 

Nfcu is definitely an iffy one. It's like throwing a dart or spin the wheel with them.. I see approvals with scores as low as 500s which amazes me. But looking at your current score & low inquiries you may have a good chance on a card with them. But given that you were recently approved for the car loan & Cloc I would play it safe & give it maybe a minimum of 2 mos of history. I was approved for my first card with them when I joined last June and then approved for the Cloc in late Nov and then approved for my second card last month! I am a very happy member because they have treated me very well. I know the limits on my cards will grow with good history and time so I'm going to sit my behind still and wait lol..

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your limits will SOAR! It's amazing to see how generous they are once people are in but they are definitely iffy. Seems like if your approval isn't instant then it's pretty much a denial unless you succesfully recon. I totally thought that bankruptcy would be my scarlet letter but it's truly been a new beginning. Good luck to us all!

Message 9 of 13
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

Just FYI, I was denied by NFCU for cash rewards with TU of 640.  I was able to recon and ask them to use the same pull to do a secured card, but from other posts on here, it seems they want 1-year post-DC before they approve for unsecured.

Of course, YMMV, so if you want to apply go for it.  There are certainly people with lower scores who have been approved for the card.

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.