Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU CUCard/ATM Card for Purchases?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

NFCU CUCard/ATM Card for Purchases?

I just got a push notification and email from NFCU that my CUCard will be expiring in November, and I need to use it at an ATM or for a purchase if I want them to send a new one.

That last part intrigued me... "for a purchase."  🤔

Has anybody done with with a NFCU CUCard?  Keep in mind this isn't the Visa debit card, this is the ATM-only card that you get with the share/savings account (if you don't have a checking account).

I've used MC/V debit cards for so many years now it never occured to me the NFCU non-Visa debit card might be able to make purchases if the PIN is used. 

Has anybody done this recently with a NFCU CUCard, or other non-MC/V debit card? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
creditfan
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU CUCard/ATM Card for Purchases?

I let mine expire without doing anything because I don't use debit cards 

Message 2 of 8
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I just got a push notification and email from NFCU that my CUCard will be expiring in November, and I need to use it at an ATM or for a purchase if I want them to send a new one.

That last part intrigued me... "for a purchase."  🤔

Perhaps "boilerplate" verbiage?  Completely get your point which makes me think the messages aren't custom and to your point, why reissue a card to someone that isn't using it.  

And No...I haven't used an ATM Debit card to make a purchase in MANY years. The non-debit card I did have...never got touched

Message 3 of 8
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

I have received this email in the past from NFCU for my Visa debit card. A security feature I guess. But my using it to withdraw cash seemed to do the trick because they issued a new one to me at expiration of the old one. 

Message 4 of 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I just got the same email.. Use in x days or will be closed and a new one wont be issues or something along those lines. As long as they don't close my checking account or CLOC I can care less about the debit card as debit cards other then CMA's or my primary bank ATM/debit cards are liabilities to me as some can and can't be locked etc..

Message 5 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

I just got the same email.. Use in x days or will be closed and a new one wont be issues or something along those lines. As long as they don't close my checking account or CLOC I can care less about the debit card as debit cards other then CMA's or my primary bank ATM/debit cards are liabilities to me as some can and can't be locked etc..

I hear ya... I'm usually the same, but I only have the savings account with them (no checking) and in the past when I've made withdrawals I've used a no-fee ATM to get cash.

If I have a chance (or rather, if I remember) I might try to buy a candy bar with the card just to see what happens.  I don't know if store terminals expect a DDA for ATM debit transactions or if they simply default to whatever account is designated as 'primary' on the card.  It'll be an interesting data point either way.

Message 6 of 8
Tazman81
Established Contributor

As far as I can remember, I thought the ability to purchase items at the merchant with the CUCard was only if you had a checking account with NFCU.  Hopefully others can jump in with other data points, but when we had a "house savings" account with NFCU, we had a CUCard to access that account at the ATM.  I remember trying to use the card and PIN at Lowes or something, but it kept declining.  When I asked NFCU about it, they said POS transactions can only occur against a checking account.  This was many many moons ago, so I do not know if anything has changed because I have the VISA Debit card.  Let us know if you find something different.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 7 of 8
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

25 years ago before I got a checking account I was able to use my ATM card at certain places like a debit card.  Walgreens I know was one and the local chain of grocery stores was another.  It requested a PIN just like an ATM.  

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.