cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Eligibility...In now, but out down the road?

tag
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

NFCU Eligibility...In now, but out down the road?

After looking at some past threads and considering the value of an NFCU membership, I decided to go ahead and apply today by phone. Great customer service rep got me setup based upon my grandfather's service. All I noted was his branch of service, officer rank, and that he was my grandfather. Nothing else required other than my personal info and my checking and savings were ready to go.

My question to anyone with NFCU experience is that I know won't have access to my grandpa's documents, since my dad doesn't have what is noted in the NCFU possible required item list:

• Driver's License with Veteran's designation
  • State-issued Veteran ID Card
  • Military orders
  • Leave orders
  • Earning statement (LES)
  • Enlistment papers
  • Proof of direct deposit from DoD
  • Pension papers from DoD
  • DD 214
  • NGB 22

The only things I have are his birthdate, de-commissioning date,  when he entered service, and family info that's not applicable as proof. Even though this wasn't requested on the phone, am I going to have a problem down the road, like if an audit happens or something related?

I should have thought this through a bit more before getting my accounts setup, but the call of these card products drew me in.

Any thoughts are most appreciated!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU Eligibility...In now, but out down the road?

Hi and congrats!

Based on the info you gave them, probably is enough. My Dad had passed 19 years before I had applied,

I gave them basically the same info as you did. You should be fine.

You should be able to get a copy of His DD-214 "HERE"

You may request military service records (including DD 214) if you are:

• A military veteran, or
  • Next of kin of a deceased, former member of the military.
    The next of kin can be any of the following:
    • Surviving spouse who has not remarried
    • Father
    • Mother
    • Son
    • Daughter
    • Sister
    • Brother

NFCU Customer service is outstanding IMHO.

Message 2 of 9
satio
Frequent Contributor

+1 ^^^^^ 

Just get a copy of his DD-214 and put it in a safe place until asked for it or be proactive and send them a copy of it to add to your profile once you have copy of same.

Message 3 of 9
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

@satio wrote:

+1 ^^^^^ 

Just get a copy of his DD-214 and put it in a safe place until asked for it or be proactive and send them a copy of it to add to your profile once you have copy of same.

Yeah, unfortunately for me I don't think that's going to be possible because I won't be able to get the DD-214 from my dad...and to try and request the record using the link M Smart provided doesn't appear to be a viable option, as i am not direct next of kin (no grandchild pulldown) and my grandpa's records aren't more than 62 years old for public access...grrrrr

Message 4 of 9
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

This is one of my concerns as well since my grandfather has not passed.....there doesn't seem to be an option to get records with him being alive and my not being the next direct in line (my mom) :/

Message 5 of 9
satio
Frequent Contributor

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

@satio wrote:

+1 ^^^^^ 

Yeah, unfortunately for me I don't think that's going to be possible because I won't be able to get the DD-214 from my dad...and to try and request the record using the link M Smart provided doesn't appear to be a viable option, as i am not direct next of kin (no grandchild pulldown) and my grandpa's records aren't more than 62 years old for public access...grrrrr

While you can't use the online form which basically is just a "help" to prepopulate a PDF Form 180 for you, you can download and fill out the form using this link:

https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center/military-personnel

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html

https://www.archives.gov/files/sf180-request-pertaining-to-military-records-exp-april2018-1.pdf

There is no "restriction" listed on this form for next of kin "type" and as his grandson you are next of kin just perhaps not the "closest" next of kin. 

They will release the information to you if you supply the required verifications, copy of his death certificate, etc.

You can confirm how best to mark the form by calling the NPRC as to your purpose, I would select genealogy and personal.

I wouldn't worry about any explanation in regards to utilization for NFCU membership.

My own request was for my father and as his son and also manager of his estate I needed it for purposes of funeral assistance with National Cemetary in Dallas/Fort Worth. I then later used it for NFCU membership. 

I have a close friend though who was doing a genealogy study of his family and wanted a copy of his grandfathers service record and was able to obtain it this way.

Message 6 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the detailed information @satio 

        
Message 7 of 9
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

@Satio, thanks for the helpful info, most appreciated

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I joined I asked about needing proof. The banker in my branch told me it shouldn’t be an issue, but if there ever came a time where I was asked, he’d help me get any proof that was being requested. Don’t know if that was him just having good customer service, or if they all will help. He also told me they usually don’t ask for proof unless something seems fishy
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.