Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU INTERNAL SCORE

tag
sectionals
New Contributor

NFCU INTERNAL SCORE

How is your internal score determined at NFCU and how do you find out what it is?

Rebuild (OCT 21) FICO 8: EX 578 FICO 9: EQ 516

Current FICO 8/9:
EQ 660/729
EX 670/714
TU 650/705

TCL: 34800
CCU: 3%

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

Re: INTERNAL SCORE

They normally send a letter with your internal score if you're accepted or rejected for credit. It's not available online or by request.

Nobody knows the secret sauce that makes up their internal score, but if you do things that build your relationship with Navy Fed, like having a broader range of credit products or setting up direct deposit, that probably helps.

Message 2 of 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

They normally send a letter with your internal score if you're accepted or rejected for credit. It's not available online or by request.

Nobody knows the secret sauce that makes up their internal score, but if you do things that build your relationship with Navy Fed, like having a broader range of credit products or setting up direct deposit, that probably helps.

+100

Although I've never gotten my internal score when being accepted, only rejected.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 8
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@Anonymalous wrote:

+100

Although I've never gotten my internal score when being accepted, only rejected.

Interesting. I just dug out the paperwork, and when I was accepted for my More Rewards, I got a letter with my internal score. It's just a single standard page in black and white, in contrast to all the credit card paperwork in off-size booklets, or the mailings/notifications with Navy Fed letterhead in the colors of the More Rewards. I also believe it arrived separately. The letter has "Your Credit Report and the Price You Pay for Credit" at the top, followed by questions or statements (in grayed out boxes) on the left, and answers on the right. The first page is all boilerplate stuff about credit reports in general, but when I flip the page over, the second page is all about Navy Fed's internal credit score. At the top is the score, the source of the score (NAVY FEDERAL), and the date. It also gives the range (100 to 450), a short description (nothing concrete), and key adverse factors (mine mentions mortgages, length of Navy Fed membership, secured loans -- and inquiries, which is entertaining because Navy was my first hard pull ever on TU).

Though I didn't get a letter -- or any notification at all, for that matter -- when I requested and received a CLI 3 months later.

Message 4 of 8
keekers556
Frequent Contributor

I was approved for the Cash Rewards card earlier this month and didn’t see my internal score listed anywhere on the documentation they sent me (front or back).

Message 5 of 8
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@Anonymalous wrote:

+100

I never got a denial from nfcu but both my approvals list my score, 297

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 6 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU INTERNAL SCORE

I've only ever received the internal score if the terms for my request weren't the best.  In other words, if they were unable to give me the lowest APR or the full CLI I requested, I got the score.

The last time I applied for credit with Navy was for my Go Rewards Visa, and it was approved at the lowest APR so no score.  All CLIs after that have been auto-CLIs so also no score (or notification of any type, for that matter).

That's been a few years, though, so things may have changed.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU INTERNAL SCORE

@UncleB wrote:

I've only ever received the internal score if the terms for my request weren't the best.  In other words, if they were unable to give me the lowest APR or the full CLI I requested, I got the score.

The last time I applied for credit with Navy was for my Go Rewards Visa, and it was approved at the lowest APR so no score.  All CLIs after that have been auto-CLIs so also no score (or notification of any type, for that matter).

That's been a few years, though, so things may have changed.

Makes sense. And it fits my experience, which more recent than yours. I applied for the More Rewards in November, didn't get the lowest APR, and they sent me a letter with my internal score. Three months later I applied for a CLI, got the max, and there was no letter or even an email notification.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.