Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Loan consolidation APPROVAL

tag
CreditTara16
Established Member

NFCU Loan consolidation APPROVAL

Hello all,

I pulled the trigger and applied for a NFCU consolidation loan. With a EQ credit score of 731 I was approved for 16,000 at 17.85% (48 months). I would like to consolidate my AMEX and Discover cards both have an interest of 20.24%. I plan on paying the personal loan off within 6 months to a year. I was hoping that NFCU would give me a lower interest rate. Is a savings of approx.. 2.39% worth it? Aside from only have one bill to pay instead of two? Also, which weighs heavier credit score wise: installment loans or credit card debt? 

Thoughts???

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Loan consolidation APPROVAL

Congratulations on your approval.

Without knowing exactly what your situation is, I'd say:

* removing the CC debt (this reducing util%, perhaps dramatically) will help your scores;

* starting a new account will hurt your score;

* reducing age of youngest accounts will hurt your score;

* adding a loan far from paid off will hurt your score;

So three obvious minuses & one obvious plus. Yet the net result should be a nice overall improvement to your FICO scores because the minuses are smallish while the one plus is large. Again, it depends exactly how much you would be improving your util%.

Message 2 of 5
CreditTara16
Established Member

Thank you for replying and thank you for your wisdom! It is greatly appreciated! I researched the forum a bit more and decided to shop around a bit. I applied for a loan with LightStream and was given a 10.39% interest rate so I am going for the offer. I have already cut the cards and I do not plan on using them.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditTara16 wrote:

... I applied for a loan with LightStream and was given a 10.39% interest rate ...

Good for you. Much easier decision now. Congrats!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

What were your loan DPs with Lightstream? I've been considering them for awhile now. Did you have to provide documentation? POI? Which bureau did they pull?
Thanks
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.