Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU. MEMBERSHIP DENIED😢

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU. MEMBERSHIP DENIED😢

Hey Everyone, I applied for a NFCU membership Saturday using my roommates access number online. Got the under review message, few minutes later recieved an email saying upload my Drivers License and proof of address. I uploaded my ID and paystub with address on it because the bills are not in my name. So today I received an email saying membership denied. What did i do wrong? I very new to the credit world just started my credit in January. Did this happen to anyone else? Will I be able to try again in a few months or never? Please help!
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU. MEMBERSHIP DENIED😢

What reasons did they give? Have you called to ask for a reconsideration?

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

They didn't give a reason on the email it just says membership denied
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the address on your ID the same as the one on the bills?

I'm not an NFCU member but I was always under the impression that you had to be related by blood or in a domestic partnership  of some sort with a current member for them to sponsor you for membership and that it wasn't sufficient to be just roommates.  Is my understanding incorrect?

EDIT:  I just found this definition of a "household member" for NFCU membership. "Household members who are eligible through existing members MUST reside at the same address and make an economic contribution to the financial stability of the household of the existing member."  So if your name is not on the lease or on any of the bills; you will not be able to prove you're making an "economic contribution" and they would not consider you a household member.

Message 4 of 22
stonedog23
Frequent Contributor

Your roommate isn’t a relative. I didn’t think you could sponsor a non close relative.
NFCU GoRewards Sig ($40,000), NFCU Cash Rewards ($33,000), PenFed Power Cash ($25,000), FNBO Evergreen Visa ($20,000), Bread Financial Rewards Amex ($19,150), PNC Cash Rewards ($18,400), PNC Cashbuilder ($18,700) , Citi Double Cash ($9600), Discover It Cash ($9000), Walmart MC ($8000), Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards ($7500), Fifth Third Unlimited Cash Back Mastercard ($7500), Wells Fargo Active Cash Sig($7000), Apple Card ($6000), Amex BCE($6000), Amex ED($6600), X1 Card ($5000), PNC Points ($8000), Amex Cash Magnet($2000), Fifth Third Truly Simple ($4000), Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards($4500), Truist Bright Card($4500), CapOne Quicksilver(Bucketed @$1500), US Bank Cash+ ($5,000), US Bank Cash+ ($1,000), WF mortgage 195K Fico 8: EQ 766, TU 763, EX 753, FICO 9:EQ 829, TU 812, EX 791, AAoA-97 months, AoOA-28 years
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

The website says relatives or roommate
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

You didn't answer my question:  Is the address on your ID the same as where you currently reside?

Is your name on a lease or rental agreement?

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes my ID has the same address and yes I am on the lease. I sent in my paystub because that was one of the options not a lease. But I will call to see the reason and ask if i can provide more documents
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

A paystub proves that you're employed and your income.  It doesn't prove that you're a member of a particular household so you will need to send a copy of the lease to prove that you're paying rent since the other bills are not in your name.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

A paystub proves that you're employed and your income.  It doesn't prove that you're a member of a particular household so you will need to send a copy of the lease to prove that you're paying rent since the other bills are not in your name.

From my understanding sounds like a clear case of not only having new credit but ID Theft prevention.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.