Did you mean: 

NFCU. MEMBERSHIP DENIED😢

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU. MEMBERSHIP DENIED😢

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

A paystub proves that you're employed and your income.  It doesn't prove that you're a member of a particular household so you will need to send a copy of the lease to prove that you're paying rent since the other bills are not in your name.

From my understanding sounds like a clear case of not only having new credit but ID Theft prevention.

Well if that's what it is all they had to do is ask for more docs. I can send my whole life in if they like. I sent in ID plus paystub because that was an option for proof of address. If it's not acceptable for proof of address they shouldn't have it as an option.

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember last year had to send several documents for proof with a bank I open a new account with... yeah it's a hassle but I'd rather them protect me and them in the process. Smiley LOL

Message 12 of 22
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

Based on the informaiton given, there is no obvious reason they would deny membership.  Please let us know what reason is given when you call or receive the letter.

Did you see any kind of activity related to the $5 membership deposit being withdrawn?  That would be my top guess.

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to  hear OP. Please give them a call and find out what other docs they will accept for proof of address. I hope it all works out for you, as Navy is an excellent credit union. 

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

A paystub proves that you're employed and your income.  It doesn't prove that you're a member of a particular household so you will need to send a copy of the lease to prove that you're paying rent since the other bills are not in your name.

From my understanding sounds like a clear case of not only having new credit but ID Theft prevention.

Well if that's what it is all they had to do is ask for more docs. I can send my whole life in if they like. I sent in ID plus paystub because that was an option for proof of address. If it's not acceptable for proof of address they shouldn't have it as an option.

Sorry, but the responsibility is on you, not NFCU, to prove your eligibility. The docs they suggest online are just that: suggestions. But, since the pathway by which you're attempting to gain membership is as a person whose only relationship to the current member is living in AND being jointly legal financially responsible for said household, the onus was always on you alone to prove this.

If you think it through, a paystub only proves your employment, (that check could go everywhere BUT your roommate's household); your drivers' license proves address, not obligation to pay bills at the address. But neither of these prove you have any financial responsibility to the household. Documents that would show this would include 1) your name on one of the utility bills, 2) your name on the lease or mortgage, and so on. Basically, all you did was provide proof of identity, address, and employment.

I'd contact them and try to get a specific reason for denial. If indeed it was what we suspect, explain that you can provide proof of financial obligation, if that was their concern.

FYI, besides proof of ID, I CHOSE to offer them my mortgage statement. They didn't ask for it, but besides proving my address, it also proved my financial responsibility to this household, and gave them some additional level of confidence in my credit-worthiness. It simply shut down all other questions and made it easy for them to say "YES". That's YOUR job, not theirs. Good luck.

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, was your membership eventually approved? any update? 

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there, was your membership eventually approved? any update? 

Hi, No I didn't even bother. I may apply again in the future but this time I know what to send in.

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received the same message and it has nothing to do with your relationship status.  I am eligible by virtue of my father's service during WWII as a Navy Fighter pilot no doubt and my husband's service (Army) during the Vietnam conflict.  Either way, I received the exact same message you did.  I called and their first excuse is they couldn't read the copy of the scanned documents sent to verify it's me and my address. I asked if she could open the scanned documents and tell me which I needed to resend.  She then informed me she could read it all and asked me to repply for the membership.  I declined.

I have a PENFED account and although I've seen negative comments about PenFed - I love them and have had nothing but good experiences with them.  I'm not sure why I even thought I should have a NFCU account but I certainly am not going to look backwards on them.

PenFed gave me a Checking LOC, their VISA with a $13,500 starting limit, and pretty much anything else I've asked for.  This is a good reminder in being loyal to the businesses that have been good to you.  NFCU - I won't darken their door again.  PENFED - I will recommend to anyone and everyone.  They have a few quirky rules (90 day wait for mobile deposits, etc.) but they're in place to protect all of the members against fraud.

So, my advice is. Don't sweat it and move it on down the road.

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I received the same message and it has nothing to do with your relationship status.  I am eligible by virtue of my father's service during WWII as a Navy Fighter pilot no doubt and my husband's service (Army) during the Vietnam conflict.  Either way, I received the exact same message you did.  I called and their first excuse is they couldn't read the copy of the scanned documents sent to verify it's me and my address. I asked if she could open the scanned documents and tell me which I needed to resend.  She then informed me she could read it all and asked me to repply for the membership.  I declined.

I have a PENFED account and although I've seen negative comments about PenFed - I love them and have had nothing but good experiences with them.  I'm not sure why I even thought I should have a NFCU account but I certainly am not going to look backwards on them.

PenFed gave me a Checking LOC, their VISA with a $13,500 starting limit, and pretty much anything else I've asked for.  This is a good reminder in being loyal to the businesses that have been good to you.  NFCU - I won't darken their door again.  PENFED - I will recommend to anyone and everyone.  They have a few quirky rules (90 day wait for mobile deposits, etc.) but they're in place to protect all of the members against fraud.

So, my advice is. Don't sweat it and move it on down the road.

Thank you! I applied for penfed just waiting my 6 months to apply for credit because I was denied for limited credit history

Message 19 of 22
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I received the same message and it has nothing to do with your relationship status. ... I received the exact same message you did.  I called and their first excuse is they couldn't read the copy of the scanned documents sent to verify it's me and my address. I asked if she could open the scanned documents and tell me which I needed to resend.  She then informed me she could read it all and asked me to repply for the membership.  ...

Sounds like some of the people reveiwing documents are a bit 'special'.  

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.