Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Membership Approval

tag
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU Membership Approval

The rep I spoke to today sounded really happy with where I am at presently post-BK.  She almost seemed surprised.  I am just trying to figure out if I should snag a card before I settle into the garden.  I do not need one, but I can't help but wonder if showing responsible unsecured usage/management couldn't help my case.  I'd still be a year inquiry free anyhow.  My gross is 6 figures.  I carry no CC debt.  I have significant Student Loan debt but never ever late (even before/during bk) and extra payment on principle for the private ones post-bk.  So I think I'm good for all of that.  Relieved that loans are EQ, lucked out that for the stuff that matters I get to put my best foot forward.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 11 of 33
AllZero
Mega Contributor

I'm not sure what their BK eligibility policy is to apply for the CC. Hopefully, another member can chime in. I don't know if it's 1 year or more? If I find some data, I'll post up.

Edit To Add. You should be good to go 1 year post BK.

Message 12 of 33
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

I really appreciate all of your help.  I'm trying to search but looking for NFCU stuff on this board is like looking for hay in a haystack lol.  I might just bite the bullet and call the rep I spoke to today in the morning.  It's just an inquiry and I'd still be 9-12 months free of new inquiries heading into the loans.  

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 13 of 33
AllZero
Mega Contributor

I edited my previous post. You should be eligible for the CC products. It's up to you to decide when and which card to apply for.

FYI. 1st card may be a lower limit. 2nd card usually yields a higher limit. YEMV. One is eligible for a 2nd card at 91 days and 3 statements from account open. Same goes for 3rd card. Expect a EQ hard pull inquiry for CLI request. Recommended CLI request interval is every ~180 days from approval.

Message 14 of 33
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:

I really appreciate all of your help.  I'm trying to search but looking for NFCU stuff on this board is like looking for hay in a haystack lol.  I might just bite the bullet and call the rep I spoke to today in the morning.  It's just an inquiry and I'd still be 9-12 months free of new inquiries heading into the loans.  

Just a word of Caution, The minimum on The Flagship card is $5K. And if you do not meet that, it would be a denial.

So for a first card, I'd go with any of the others. IMHO

Message 15 of 33
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Great advice above.

Also, forgot to mention they offer CC prequal if eligible. Call in to find out.
Message 16 of 33
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Flagship isn't a great fit for me. More interested in the amex rewards, but planning to app something like cash rewards for the teaser limit and then do the one I really plan to use at 91/3.

This will allow me to sever my relationship with Capital One, which pleases me. I'm never gonna grow CLs there.

Message 17 of 33
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Good luck on your future application. Hope to read of your approval in the approval forum.

Message 18 of 33
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:
Flagship isn't a great fit for me. More interested in the amex rewards, but planning to app something like cash rewards for the teaser limit and then do the one I really plan to use at 91/3.

This will allow me to sever my relationship with Capital One, which pleases me. I'm never gonna grow CLs there.

Good plan, keep in mind you can product change their cards Visa to Amex and Amex to Visa.

One of the few lenders that does this. I PC'd the cash rewards to the more rewards.

Good Luck!

Message 19 of 33
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Thank you both so much for all of your help

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.