NFCU Membership Approval

tag
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: NFCU Membership Approval

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:
Thank you both so much for all of your help

Um, not a good idea to apply for NFCU cards before March, when the SUBs come back.

Right now, only offers are BT's.

I would hang tight for those nice SUBs.

Message 21 of 33
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Not going to use the first card for more than a monthly subscription + SD, so I may as well start the clock on 91/3.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 22 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not going to use the first card for more than a monthly subscription + SD, so I may as well start the clock on 91/3.

Doing that is throwing away $150-250. Unless you can't hit the spend, it's free money. SUBs should be back 3/2 so barely over a month. 

Message 23 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your membership 👍
Message 24 of 33
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

I'm in 10%/2% with Discover so it's splitting hairs. I want to get rolling on 91/3 to get the card I'd actually use. I also want to leave time (min 6mos, preferably 9+) before apping an auto loan and student loan refi.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome aboard to the Navy family!

As others have said, they probably won't care about savings balances, though if you want to build up some balance with them you can open their EasyStart certificate -- 12 months, $50 minimum, 3.50% APY -- which allows additional deposits at any time.

EasyStart requires you to move your direct deposit to them. The terms say "net direct deposit". I do not know it that means your entire dd or partial will work.

Message 26 of 33
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

They're getting it all. Not up to the micromanagement.

Message 27 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kenny wrote:
Honestly, they won't care too much about you moving money in weekly/monthly or not. If you aren't looking for products right now just sit on it and wait until you need to apply. You can then move everything over when you do want to apply for a car loan with them. They are excellent. I absolutely love NFCU. It's the best banking decision I've ever made.

All the data points says Navy cares about your internal score with them. I don't see how you would do that if you are not using the accounts. a.k.a putting money in, paying bills, etc.

Message 28 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Doing that is throwing away $150-250. Unless you can't hit the spend, it's free money. SUBs should be back 3/2 so barely over a month. 

When the SUB's come back do the balance transfer offers go away?

Message 29 of 33
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When the SUB's come back do the balance transfer offers go away?

Usually on all except the Platinum, which doesn't get SUB anyhow. Platinum is geared to BT.

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.