Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Membership Question

tag
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: NFCU Membership Question

^ I've done cash deposit in local bank. Navy has free ACH push and pull if you dont mind waiting.

I've never done deposits in other ATM Networks. So no comment.
30,000 FREE CO-OP Network® ATMs
https://www.navyfederal.org/branches-atms/atm-info.php

How long of a loan do you need?

You might miss out opportunities on sign up bonuses, cash back, rewards, or points for that kind of spend.
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@8bitmachinegun wrote:

So I've successfully joined NFCU, no muss, no fuss. I opened a checking and savings account, and I'm seriously considering making them my primary financial institution. The problem is the closest branch is ~100 miles away, and I occasionally need to make a cash deposit. From what I understand, I can use some partner ATMs to make a deposit, but I'm not sure how smooth that process is. Any comments?

As far as credit products go, I'm not sure what I should try for. I have a lot of hard pulls lately, both as a result of applying for CCs and auto loan shopping. My scores are fair to good depending on who you ask (see signature for details.) And I may be better served by getting a loan instead of a CC, since I'm looking to do extensive house repairs (>$10K in all likelihood.)

There's a NFCU in my area however it's farther away than the co-op ATM's so i've never been. Just the other day I deposited $160 in cash at a Co-Op ATM and had no issues, the deposit was reflected in my available balance immediately.

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have only used co-op ATMs. No problems at all. I do frequent cash deposits.

Congratulations on signing up! Told ya it would be no problem! Smiley Very Happy
Message 13 of 21
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They seem to have their own ways of verifying military affiliation. I called used my grandfather for membership. Asked me branch and rank and approved me for membership and took my CC app on the same call. They really are very easy to work with. 

Honestly, it's not that hard to verify some military affiliation most of the time, and I do wonder if they do it periodically when someone has a bit of spare time just to check if they're concerned.   I can do it to just about anyone with a quick search.
I have an unusual last name.  My uncles/fathers/brother/grands have the same last name (obviously not all of them, but enough of them), that if they ever questioned it, they could find out for themselves.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@calyx wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They seem to have their own ways of verifying military affiliation. I called used my grandfather for membership. Asked me branch and rank and approved me for membership and took my CC app on the same call. They really are very easy to work with. 

Honestly, it's not that hard to verify some military affiliation most of the time, and I do wonder if they do it periodically when someone has a bit of spare time just to check if they're concerned.   I can do it to just about anyone with a quick search.
I have an unusual last name.  My uncles/fathers/brother/grands have the same last name (obviously not all of them, but enough of them), that if they ever questioned it, they could find out for themselves.

It's very easy to look up my dad since we have the same name and I was born on an air force base but my grandfather would be a bit more work to trace to me. 

It's my understanding that NCUA actually audits CUs to make sure they are sticking to their stated eligibility pool. Gotta keep the banks at bay. 

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's just my speculation, but I wonder that when you call and sign up for Navy, that if you're specific about your family member's service was, that they'll be more apt to not delve for more details. Someone saying, "My grandfather was in the military, but I don't know what branch and don't know what years and don't know what he did" then that would be a little iffier than what many of us have (probably) said. No doubt a lot of us are very proud of our family members' service and will ramble for a spell. (I know I did!)

@8bitmachinegun it sounds like your grandfather had a pretty fascinating career in the military and you know a lot of details. My dad had some interesting stories about his service that I'll always remember.

If they ask for proof, yeah, we can get it. But I'm sure the reps taking these calls are not suspecting us of lying. 

Message 16 of 21
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I'm glad to hear there's no longer a hold for making cash deposits at CO-OP ATMs... just a few years ago that wasn't the case

An easy way to deposit cash has always been my only gripe with USAA; it's good to hear NFCU has worked out a solution! Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 21
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

@8bitmachinegun wrote:

Well it looks like I'm technically eligible to join NFCU since my grandfather served in WW2. However, proving it is turning into quite a challenge. 

I can request a free copy of grandfather's DD-214 from archives.gov, but it will take weeks to months to fulfill the request. Is there any faster way to prove he served? He passed several years ago, so most of his paperwork is gone. I can probably get a death certificate from my aunt or  the county courthouse, but that's about as much official paperwork as I can get.

I just went through this. You can call them and let them know you've begun the process to get your Grandfathers DD-214 but it will take quite awhile and you would like to get set up now. The CSR will take your membership application over the phone since it can't be done online for grandparents. You are asked what branch of service he served under. The CSR said once the document is received just hold on to it, they may request it later if needed. I am going to email the docs over once received. Anyway, she set me up with my membership, opened a savings account, then was transferred over to the credit card department. It was an effortless process.

I requested two forms, one for my Brother and one for my Grandfather. The DD-214 for my Brother was online. But you are not next of kin to a Grandparent so you use Form SF-180 (PDF). 

I simply filled out the form the same as the online form. The differences were:

Under Section II #1, check the box, Form DD-214 or equivalent.
Under Section II #2 Purpose, check the box, Benefits
Reason: Armed Forces Organization Membership
Under Section III, check the box, Other then type in Grandchild

Be sure to SAVE the form before printing. I didn't and had to retype the whole thing.
Print, sign and mail (address #14) or scan to efax or fax to: (314) 801-9049.

[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I joined NFCU a week ago, on the basis of a deceased grandfather who served in the AAC/AAF in WWII.

When I called up, they told me they wanted his DD214 (actually any discharge form.. for him it turned out to be a WD AGO 53-55) to check that he was honorably discharged. I guess if he had been dishonorably discharged, it wouldn't meet the eligibility requirements 😬

They haven't actually asked me to see his papers, yet, though.

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just wanted to say that this thread has been extremely informative. Don't know why I only just now stumbled upon it.

With all the positives about NFCU I've seen on this forum, I had been wondering if I'd be able to get in as my grandfather passed away over 20 years ago (ALS) after being career Army. Sounds like a great project I'll take on in the next couple of months and allow me to reminisce about our time together as we were pretty close.

Again, thank you!
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.