Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Membership Question

tag
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

NFCU Membership Question

Hi everyone!

I recently opened a checking/savings with Navy Federal since I have read so many great things about them over the years.

Everything went smoothly getting the accounts set up.

I am also in the midst of bankruptcy. It was filed 3 weeks ago and my MOC is on May 3.

Yesterday I noticed this banner on my account page on the app:

1C1500A2-183A-4BAA-80E9-A43E35085D6C.jpeg

I did a bit of digging and it seems this gets added to peoples accounts when Navy was included in BK. Since I just opened the checking/savings accounts a few days ago and had filed BK 3 weeks ago, I didn't include anything from Navy.

So I called yesterday and after 32 minutes waiting, I got an automated system asking me to rate the experience I had just had with a representative. I was not amused and frankly it isn't a great way to start things out. I wanted to ask about that banner.

Does anyone know if this banner is for those that included Navy in BK, or just anyone in BK? Is it something I should try getting rid of now or leave it alone until after discharge or leave it alone completely?

I wanted my direct deposit to start going into this credit union to start building a relationship, but am nervous to do that unless I know everything will be ok with my funds.

I am planning to open a secured card with them after I am discharged and hope I am not running into any problems that can't be fixed.

Thanks for any advice!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU Membership Question

I believe it's typically displayed when you include navy in bk. Your checking and savings will work, but you'll be unable to apply for credit products until they're made whole. At that point, the banner will be removed and you can apply for credit products again.

Since you didn't include them, you need to contact them again to get it straightened out. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the department you need to call.

Message 2 of 10
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I believe it's typically displayed when you include navy in bk. Your checking and savings will work, but you'll be unable to apply for credit products until they're made whole. At that point, the banner will be removed and you can apply for credit products again.

Since you didn't include them, you need to contact them again to get it straightened out. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the department you need to call.

Thank you for your response, @Brian_Earl_Spilner. Much appreciated.

Will definitely be giving them a call.

Message 3 of 10
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner 

Well I just got off the phone and they told me it's there just because I filed BK  and not to worry about it even though Navy Fed wasn't included.

I guess if that's true I'm fine with it, but since I didn't include them it's just weird seeing that banner. There's certainly no banner on my BOFA account page.

Message 4 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

That's good to hear. Hopefully you weren't given misinformation 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Total80sKid wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner 

Well I just got off the phone and they told me it's there just because I filed BK  and not to worry about it even though Navy Fed wasn't included.

I guess if that's true I'm fine with it, but since I didn't include them it's just weird seeing that banner. There's certainly no banner on my BOFA account page.

That's great. If you're near a branch, visit, and get that in writing. Otherwise, ask for that via a phone call. 

Get it In Writing ✍️. 🙏🏻 Aka, legally binding. 🙏🏻

Message 6 of 10
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Just an update for those searching for this info.

I called today and spoke with someone in the BK dept who was beyond lovely.

I explained my situation and she told me that they would remove it as soon as I am discharged.

She said they should get notified but that I could call back if I wanted to.

Hope this helps someone.

Message 7 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Total80sKid wrote:

I explained my situation and she told me that they would remove it as soon as I am discharged.

Hope this helps someone.

That is great news. The times I have spoke with NFCU, they have been more than accommodating to my needs.

The reps are always polite and usually the hold times are not that long. They are probably busy due to the stimulus checks.

Message 8 of 10
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Total80sKid wrote:

Hope this helps someone.

That's cool news. Thanks for adding your experience with this!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 9 of 10
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

(Mod cut - not here please @designated_knitter -- let's be mindful of the TOS and Forum Guidelines).

They are always so encouraging and professional and friendly you feel like you should send them flowers and a thank you note after the call!

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.