Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Membership Requirements

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

NFCU Membership Requirements

I keep reading good things about NFCU so I've been taking a look at what they have to offer. When it comes to becoming a member, I was never in the military but my father who I don't talk to (he's alive) and my grandfather (passed years ago) were.  Would providing info about my grandfather be enough for the requirements?

From the NFCU site - 

Once your family member joins Navy Federal, you'll be eligible as well. If they can't or don't want to become a member right now, you can still join. You may need one of the following documents from your family member:

• Driver's License with Veteran's designation
  • State-issued Veteran ID Card
  • Military orders
  • Leave orders
  • Earning statement (LES)
  • Enlistment papers
  • Proof of direct deposit from DoD
  • Pension papers from DoD
  • DD 214
  • NGB 22

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
rbentley
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU Membership Requirements

@masscredit wrote:

I keep reading good things about NFCU so I've been taking a look at what they have to offer. When it comes to becoming a member, I was never in the military but my father who I don't talk to (he's alive) and my grandfather (passed years ago) were.  Would providing info about my grandfather be enough for the requirements?

From the NFCU site - 

Once your family member joins Navy Federal, you'll be eligible as well. If they can't or don't want to become a member right now, you can still join. You may need one of the following documents from your family member:

• Military orders
  • Leave orders
  • Enlistment papers
  • DD 214
  • NGB 22

Most people are finding that NFCU isn't asking for verification of membership eligibility at the time of account opening or applying for credit products. I was able to join on the basis of my deceased father's service.  No documentation was required.  There does remain the possibility that Navy may do an account review at sometime in the future and ask for that information and shut down accounts that are unable or unwilling to provide it.  I haven't seen any such post in the past couple years.

Message 2 of 9
SlideOrInsert
Regular Contributor

I had some idle time during the holidays (12/2018) and live about 35 min from a branch so I cruised over. I gave the receptionist my name, sat down and noticed about 7-8 people in line for the tellers. A gent walked over, called my name and invited me to his cubicle. He started making some small talk about myself which eventually led to how I qualified (veterans in my immediate family). Started entering my name into the computer and I volunteered over my license to make things easier. Within four min another gent peeked in and handed him my new debit card. He put together a welcome packet and said I was now qualified to apply for all their product lines. We shook hands and I walked over to the last teller as there were no longer any lines. I funded the checking and savings accounts with some cash. It was kind of weird, door to door took less than ten min.

Both my father and grandfather served. Like you I do not talk to my father, but my grandfather is around for now (he's 90!) if I need to prove anything in the next year.

upgrade
9/2022
$30000
nfcu
8/2020
$20000
nfcu
12/2018
$30000
bofa
8/2016
$30000
citi
3/2016
$21000
discover
5/2014
$20000
chase
10/2007
$8900
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The belief around here is that NFCU has ways of verifying military affiliation and only requests documentation if they can’t find it on their own. Being the largest credit union in the country, they’re likely subject to a lot of NCUA audits so if they couldn’t get verify this information somehow we would hear about a lot of account closures. 

Message 4 of 9
masscredit
Valued Contributor

It looks like I'll take a HP to become a member. Will they do that if I don't meet the requirements to join? 

If I do get in, will there be a second HP for their credit card? I've read that they pull EQ or TU. Both have been mentioned. 

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@masscredit wrote:

It looks like I'll take a HP to become a member. Will they do that if I don't meet the requirements to join? 

If I do get in, will there be a second HP for their credit card? I've read that they pull EQ or TU. Both have been mentioned. 

I joined in October and no HP to join or to open an SSL.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@masscredit wrote:

From the NFCU site - 

• Military orders
  • Leave orders
  • Enlistment papers
  • DD 214
  • NGB 22

As many report you likely wont need documents proving eligibility when you open your account. Generally they will take your word for it.

To be on the safe side I would try to get a copy of one of their discharge papers (DD 214).

https://www.va.gov/records/get-military-service-records/

Capture55.JPG

Message 7 of 9
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Thank you for that info!  I've been wanting to research my grandfather's military service so it will come in handy.

I am now a member of NFCU. 15 minutes on the phone took care of that.  I'm just waiting for my online account to become active then I'll be applying for one of their cards.  I'm leaning towards their AMEX card. The main AMEX won't give me one (blacklisted) so this will be my way into their network.

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep in mind the minimum redemption is $50 for the More Rewards and Go Rewards cards. That's $1,667 in 3x categories. It can take quite a while to accumulate enough to cash out.

Cash Rewards while only 1.5% across the board, nothing special, there is no minimum. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.