cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

tag
kobe2012
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

As someone that file bk7, am glad I was able to join last year!! They gave me higher credit lines with low 600's ... never got these credit lines even before bk... does anyone know if I still need to renew my navy league membership??

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 21 of 96
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

@kobe2012 wrote:
As someone that file bk7, am glad I was able to join last year!! They gave me higher credit lines with low 600's ... never got these credit lines even before bk... does anyone know if I still need to renew my navy league membership??

Don't have to, but you would of never got in without the method along with the rest of us and it goes to a good cause.  Mine is up for renewal and will pay it this weekend.  Just my opinion on it and what I intend on doing.

Message 22 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Come on people.  Banks cannot give out $20,000 CC for more than a few months like NFCU did.

MyFICO figured out the system and NFCU had to adjust their game.  The gravy train never lasts forever.

Glad I got mine after 2 years of being a member through a family vet.

Message 23 of 96
RCFL
Frequent Contributor

Wow bad news for those that's wanting to join through the Navy League. I am glad I joined a few weeks back.
Message 24 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

First USAA a while back, now NFCU, when does PenFed CU drop the hammer?
Message 25 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
First USAA a while back, now NFCU, when does PenFed CU drop the hammer?

Could be any time, whenever that is. Credit unions, by their very nature, don't and can't let just anyone walk in and apply, unlike banks. They have to set certain criteria for membership. i'm just glad that I'm already in Penfed and have been for many years, same with USAA; I think I'd have been a lot more upset about this news if I didn't have those alternatives and others including Justice FCU and Apple FCU in my area, and Apple FCU is, as I said, by all accounts rebuilder-friendly. In fact I believe I'll put in my Apple FCU application in the near future.

Message 26 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

dang. was gardening for 12 months before i applying this fall.. i kind of missed the Penfed train last summer as well but at least i was able to join in the Fall. Oh well, my credit scores are rising and my reports are clean...So i guess i have other options. Just hate it for others who were waiting to get in like me.

Message 27 of 96
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Credit unions by their nature can pick and choose who they let in. There are many great credit unions out there. We just have to find them
Message 28 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU No Longer Avail to Non-Military

Message 29 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU No Longer Avail to Non-Military

@Anonymous wrote:
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/navy-league-membership-no-longer-qualifying-navy-federal-credit-union-membership/

This is going to upset many people on here I am guessing.

@Anonymous.

Thanks for the heads up.  i was one of the lucky ones that was able to join via NLUS-San Diego.  I had wondered how long that loophole would last.  I'm saddened that this day has come as NFCU provided opportunities for individuals with less than stellar credit, but it's within their discretion to allow membership to whomever they choose. Smiley Sad

Message 30 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.