cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

tag
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

NFCU has been really great to me. I use the NFCU more for savings than credit.
Message 41 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

@Anonymous wrote:

My Stepson is in the Army stationed in Korea and my Nephew is a Marine served 2006-2010. Would either of these make me eligible to get into NFCU?

In 2014, my brother and his family were over for Christmas.  My mother and my brother both were in the Army.  My brother's son is active in the Army Reserves but at that time was full time Army.  I got my nephew a checking account with $50.  Then I piggybacked my brother off of his son and gave my brother a $50 checking account.  Then I piggybacked off of my brother's account and got my own checking and savings account.

The $150 was well spent.

Message 42 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm happy I joined in March! I have the Cash Rewards and CLOC with them and I also switched my primary checking, savings and money market over to them as well. There is a branch 15 min from me so I'm happy.

Approximately two weeks after joining, my account access was compromised they said by someone in Australia logging into my account. They were quick at shutting my account down and closing all accounts and opening new ones. Even overnighted me a new credit card and debit card. Very professional and I was impressed with the service.
Message 43 of 96
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
NFCU isn't even that great lol

Depends where you are in your rebuild.

I would've loved to have them circa 2012-2013, not so much at 2015 (Chase with their 22K approval which jumpstarted my initial credit extension from there), and not really now though they have some interesting mortgage products which I think makes it worthwhile to be a member there.

That said I never put in the application even if I did give the requisite contribution to NLUS for various reasons and was debating tossing it in... but end of the day it impacts me not at all and I'm not surprised by this change.  

        
Message 44 of 96
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Was on the eve of sending in my NLSD pspers, as a Fico friend urged me to join before the door closes. Literally the day before i was going to send it in, i got a heads up by UncleB that they had opened up the door for vets and thankfully i got in.

I like CC's idea to keep giving back to the Navy League as if it can help anybody in need, im all for it. I think even with my newly found entrance, when its time to renew , ill go another year.
Message 45 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is weird. I posted this this morning, and now I went to my posts to check to see if anyone replied, and this one is listed, but this is not the post I made. I bet this was some mod voodoo or something. Strange.

Your thread was merged with an existing thread on the same topic.  If you need additional info send me or any mod a PM.  --UB

Message 46 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My Stepson is in the Army stationed in Korea and my Nephew is a Marine served 2006-2010. Would either of these make me eligible to get into NFCU?

You may have to do a little work to get in.  Unless you became your stepson's legal guardian at some point, that relationship may not be sufficient to get you straight in.  But there is a way!  you could follow this path:

1. Stepson joins, refers his biological parent that you married.

2. Biological parent joins, refers you as an eligible household member/spouse

3. You join as the eligible spouse/household member of a member.

Good Luck!

Message 47 of 96
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You may have to do a little work to get in.  Unless you became your stepson's legal guardian at some point, that relationship may not be sufficient to get you straight in.  But there is a way!  you could follow this path:

Good Luck!

Good thought, but not necessary.  NFCU recognizes step children/parents/siblings the same as 'natural' for membership purposes. 

I confirmed this when I joined in 2015.  Smiley Wink

Edited to add:  Always avoid "household' if you can (use as last resort) since that path has been heavily scrutinized in the past.

Message 48 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good Luck!

Good thought, but not necessary.  NFCU recognizes step children/parents/siblings the same as 'natural' for membership purposes. 

I confirmed this when I joined in 2015.  Smiley Wink

Edited to add:  Always avoid "household' if you can (use as last resort) since that path has been heavily scrutinized in the past.

Thank you UncleB!  Every day I learn something is a good day  Smiley Happy

Message 49 of 96
kugel
Valued Contributor

I wonder will this effect existing members who manged to get in to apply to new products ?
Waiting to get the Amex in sep
Message 50 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.