cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

Who knows...maybe at some point they'll swallow another small CU with its own backdoor...what has happened once, can happen again Smiley Happy

Message 71 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Navy Fed no longer allowing new membership through Navy League of San Diego?

And so it has ended.  Im glad I was able to touch so many with this.  It lasted a year.  Thanks to the Navy League and NFCU for allowing this for that long.  

Message 72 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Who knows...maybe at some point they'll swallow another small CU with its own backdoor...what has happened once, can happen again Smiley Happy

That could be - or else maybe they'll do what Penfed and so many other credit unions have done and officially establish an alternative where one can join Navy FCU by making contributions to a Navy-related charity (maybe even by joining the Navy League!)

Message 73 of 96
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

And so it has ended.  Im glad I was able to touch so many with this.  It lasted a year.  Thanks to the Navy League and NFCU for allowing this for that long.  

YoureWelcome,

Thank you for taking the time to post the directions on how to join Navy Federal. I used it and have a Visa and CLOC with them as well as a large chunk of savings  in CD's.

I have shared this with many and everyone was extremely grateful.  In addition, I'm a member of the NLUS, a fantastic organization. I am renewing my remember this weekend using my PENFED Navy League Visa.

Thanks again!

Guyatthebeach

Message 74 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

If a family member (sibling) is eligible as a veteran, but not a member, would I be eligible to join?

Message 75 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If a family member (sibling) is eligible as a veteran, but not a member, would I be eligible to join?

I believe they would need to be a current member of NFCU for you to join through them. If they are active duty I believe they do not need to be a member in order for you to join as they are eligible for membership. At least that is how it used to work before the recent changes (adding vetrans to and removing NLUS from field of membership).

You should give them a call to ask. They are very friendly and will answer your questions. 

Message 76 of 96
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe they would need to be a current member of NFCU for you to join through them. If they are active duty I believe they do not need to be a member in order for you to join as they are eligible for membership. At least that is how it used to work before the recent changes (adding vetrans to and removing NLUS from field of membership).

You should give them a call to ask. They are very friendly and will answer your questions. 

+1

I would give them a call on this one as well... if the rules for vets follows the rules for active your sibling won't be required to become a member (you'll be eligible based on his/her vet status alone) but a NFCU CSR should be able to answer this quickly.

Message 77 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

I would give them a call on this one as well... if the rules for vets follows the rules for active your sibling won't be required to become a member (you'll be eligible based on his/her vet status alone) but a NFCU CSR should be able to answer this quickly.

+1

In fact, I realized this yesterday when I was looking up eligibility requirements at NFCU (I was trying to find out under what exact circumstances Federal Government employees are eligible for NFCU membership). I have several immediate family members (grandfather, father, stepfather) who are former service members and therefore eligible for NFCU membership but to the best of my knowledge have never been members. I'll have to call them or go to a branch in person to ask.

Message 78 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your all are trying exploit a loophole, its for people who served and their families. 

Edit: just stop --Revelate, myFICO moderator

Message 79 of 96
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your all are trying exploit a loophole, its for people who served and their families. 

Edit: just stop --Revelate, myFICO moderator

I need to comment on this. This way to join was not a loophole, it was in the field of membership that Navy Federal adopted when they merged with USA FCU. This method was removed from NFCU by the NCUA not the credit union. 

When I joined Navy Federal with this method in a branch last year, the woman that opened my account knew all about this method. Living on the east coast, I was surprised, but she said that they used it regularly to help get members to join the CU. When I was traveling I asked about this at another branch, the manager told me the same thing. I never thought anything negative about.  Since joining the CU, I've been treated extremely well and enjoy my membership.  To be honest, I use NFCU for savings more than I do my credit, which helps the CU to help make lending to other members better.

I don't think anyone exploited or take advantage of the credit union. This was included in USA Federal's field of membership and Navy Federal chose to honor under the NCUA's guidance.  The CU could have refused any membership at any time it wants too, but I am only aware of a few cases from the myfico forum. This brings up an interesting point. Should credit unions that have national footprints, like NFCU, open their fields of membership to everyone that lives/works/worships in their geographic  footprint?

As a civilian, I have nothing but respect for those in the military that chose to defend and protect our rights. I personally belong to the Navy League and some other grass root organizations that help support the military, military families, and vets. Whenever a call goes out to help a vet in my area, I always help out and donate money or time when I can.

Guyatthebeach

Message 80 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.