cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Referral Promo... Your Experience?

tag
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: NFCU Referral Promo... Your Experience?

I agree UncleB , I have sisters that I could refer but they will not jump through any hoops either , they are just MEH with credit and such issues , they are still in their early 20s so I am trying to teach them what knowledge I wish I would have known back then but I can only do so much .
Message 21 of 52
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@disney2 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@disney2 wrote:

I joined on the promo on 9/1 online.  It was very easy and quick.  I still don't have my $50 for signing up but I do have the debit card though.  I also signed up my husband (Army veteran), daughter (25), and son (26) under me.  The only one they wanted more info on was my husband.  We had to email them a copy of his ID and a utility bill in his name.  They did say they were swamped this month with the promo. 

I applied for the Cash Rewards card I believe around 9/3 and was instantly approved for $1,600.  I don't have that card yet either but it is showing on my account.  My scores are definitely not all that but hovoring in the 600 range.

+1

It makes me a little 'queasy' that NFCU would make it difficult for a direct relative of an existing member (in this case, your husband)... those applications should get a 'rubber stamp' in my opinion since there's no question that the person qualifies.  When I got my own membership last fall, I used my brother's access number and selected 'sibling', and I got an immediate response and was able to app for a credit card only minutes later.

I know there are many people on here who are willing to jump through hoops for NFCU membership (I would be as well) but honestly my relatives won't be as enthusiastic as the average myFICO member - to them it's just another CU, and all they know about it is that I'm telling them how 'wonderful' it can be.  While $50 is nice, if I have to hand-hold relatives and help them come up with documents I have to question if it's worth the hassle (to me). 

This is another example of the 'action item' over on Humuhumu's thread that NFCU really needs to work out their membership process to make it more seamless, especially for people with clear paths to membership.

The part that bothered me is that I was just signing up with a friend and have absolutely no military background at all and yet he was in the Army and served in Vietnam and had to go through that.  He should have been pushed on through IMO.

I agree with you completely that there should be a way for vets to get in without having to go through loopholes that are available to the general public... you would think that NFCU would prefer to serve a vet over some random person who got in using a loophole created by a CU they absorbed, but at this time that's not the case.

With that being said, at this time those are the rules and the framework we have to work with, like it or not (I don't).  However, when somebody is clearly following a path that is within the existing framework - like your husband - they should see no resistance from NFCU. 

In my case my own approval was instant, but if I were to talk one of my brothers into joining and he was asked to provide a birth certificate to prove his relationship to me, he would tell them to pound sand.  I'm afraid that would actually be the reaction of many if not most of my relatives - to them NFCU is just another "bank", and there's no way they are going to dig up birth certificates, marriage licenses, or whatever, just to be able to get a credit card.

I've mentioned NFCU to a couple of my brothers, but honestly I'm no longer going to press the issue.  If they were enthusiast like we are it would be different, but they're not, and I don't want to be responsible for starting a process that could end up going 'sideways', making me look bad.  $50 just isn't worth it.  Smiley Sad

Message 22 of 52
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Aduke1122 wrote:
I agree UncleB , I have sisters that I could refer but they will not jump through any hoops either , they are just MEH with credit and such issues , they are still in their early 20s so I am trying to teach them what knowledge I wish I would have known back then but I can only do so much .

We are on the same page, my friend. 

At $50 per relative it's tempting, but I have visions of the headaches that are possible and honestly $50 isn't worth it.  I also don't want to do anything to put my own membership at risk... while I would be willing to come up with birth certificates to prove my relationship to my sponsor (my USAF brother) I really don't want to go to the hassle if I don't have to.

Hopefully at some point they will streamline this process.  Smiley Indifferent

Message 23 of 52
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I hope so too UncleB , they make it entirely too hard on those that have legitimate eligibility for memebership , I know my fiancé and I were in that category of being stuck in frozen hell for weeks and had to provide every single kind of doc you can think of to prove our ID'S you would think a BC and DL wity SS card would be suffice but when w had to finally go to the nearest branch *over an hour away *to prove in person who we were , we had an entire folder full.of docs and the manager at the branch was without words , when the guy on the phone in the Security dept actually wanted him to hand type in every form of docs we had ..
Message 24 of 52
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Needless to say the branch manager and security dept had words and we got it all cleared , it was just really stressful having to go thru it all just for memebership at a CU, I really wanted in and by that point in was more of a matter that I wanted to prove myself not a fraud . Otherwise I would have let it go and done without Navy fed
Message 25 of 52
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Aduke1122 wrote:
Needless to say the branch manager and security dept had words and we got it all cleared , it was just really stressful having to go thru it all just for memebership at a CU, I really wanted in and by that point in was more of a matter that I wanted to prove myself not a fraud . Otherwise I would have let it go and done without Navy fed

I would have done the same as you... if for no other reason just to show them that I was 'legit'.

That's what makes us different from most people, though... including my relatives.  The more I think about it, I just don't think I want to open that can or worms.

Message 26 of 52
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Yea I don't either , my sisters are still young and I dot want to get a bad rep for anything they "may" do lol
Message 27 of 52
echoecho
Regular Contributor

More data points for membership. It took me almost a month to be a member with NFCU, swamped with apps. I submitted my mil ID and DW dl. Yesterday while adding my DW to my accounts as co owner they wanted her to verify her info name, bday & Ssn.

After setting her up the csr ask if I wanted to refer new members. I asked if my two children are members now. She said no unless like DW also setup her own acct which we did the other day. We decided to enroll my 13 and 17 and get the promo. Since they are minors we were co owners for both. The $50 will hit their share account in two weeks. This action according to the csr will insure both kids can access Nfcu later in life to their products.

I found out thru the forum that Nfcu are harder on mil members than civilian as far as info. In the end they have info that I did not give to Nfcu but only available to dod. Guessing they need more direct info to get dod info data base, just my swag.
Message 28 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I joined through my Daughter whose husband is Active Military.  No problems at all and referred my Wife, Mom, Sister, Brother, and other Daughter to get the max referral bonus available at the time.    I received the bonus less than a week later on all.  This was May of 2015 and so far no one has had any problems with their memberships.

Message 29 of 52
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Just got off the line with Navy Fed, I inquired about the referral program and if I could.open my children savings acct and it count for the bonus , she said yes it would , and since they are minors I would have to be Co owner of their accts , and all I would need if their SSN . Got thru with all of thier info to open the savings with her on the phone and BAM.....BOTH WENT TO REVIEW ....no surprised at all ......just don't want as much trouble as I had with opening mine jeez ..
Message 30 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.