Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU SSL

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU SSL

Is the entire deposit tied up for the duration of the loan or only the current balance?

In other words, if you put up $3010, then immediately pay the loan down to $300, is the $3010 still unavailable or just the $300?

Message 31 of 131
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

%Is the entire deposit tied up for the duration of the loan /or only the current balance?

In other words, if you put up $3010, then immediately pay the loan down to $300, is the $3010 still unavailable or just the $300?

Whatever you pay into the loan is put back into your checking or savings.

I paid Mine down to $244.73,  Just under 8.2% . They released about $2765 or so.

$244.73 is unavailable, until the loan is paid off.  Next payment due 12/19/2023

I have seen A EX FICO8 Increase of 30 Points with Nothing else Changing.

Message 32 of 131
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an FYI, it’s already showing on Experian for me — at $3010 balance. I actually took a hit thanks to that 100% reporting. EX8 down to 690 from 695. 

I would have thought that it would report after I had made my first payment, not as soon as I took the loan out. This is going to be a rough month now. AMEX will start reporting in a few days for around $400 on my Cash Magnet, I am going to have Capital One report about $2200, and I have the $3010 loan on there already. I’ll be amazed if I finish the month with my Sync limits intact. 

Message 33 of 131
Medic981
Valued Contributor

I have a few questions about getting an SSL at NFCU. 

I am currently gardening and do not want any HPs. Is it correct that NFCU doesn't do an HP when opening an SSL?

I already have the $3001 in my MMA, would there be any issues in needing an SSL with me already having the money on hand?

I am 12 months into a 36-month lease, I know I will not get any boost from an SSL. My question is when I near the end of my lease and my balance is paid down below 8.9% I will get a score boost at that time. When the lease is paid off I will then get a score penalty. Will having an SSL with a balance below 8.9% help prevent the scoring penalty? Does what I want to do make sense to you folks? 

What are your thoughts?

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 34 of 131
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, seems like you understand it perfectly. It should keep you from realizing that scoring penalty, if you have it in place under 8.9%.

But I can’t answer about the HP/SP, because I haven’t taken mine out yet.
Message 35 of 131
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Medic981 wrote:

I have a few questions about getting an SSL at NFCU. 

I am currently gardening and do not want any HPs. Is it correct that NFCU doesn't do an HP when opening an SSL?

I already have the $3001 in my MMA, would there be any issues in needing an SSL with me already having the money on hand?

I am 12 months into a 36-month lease, I know I will not get any boost from an SSL. My question is when I near the end of my lease and my balance is paid down below 8.9% I will get a score boost at that time. When the lease is paid off I will then get a score penalty. Will having an SSL with a balance below 8.9% help prevent the scoring penalty? Does what I want to do make sense to you folks? 

What are your thoughts?

It is still a new trendline, so i think your gardening resets. you may confirm with UncleB?,

Garden Club recognition levels: To qualify, your reports must contain:

• No new tradelines of any type on one's accounts (this includes any backdated accounts, as they are STILL new "seedlings").
  • No HPs for anything that would allow for the possibility of a new tradeline being issued or increasing the CL of an existing tradeline.
Message 36 of 131
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah it’s a new tradeline so it necessitates a reset which cost me my spade. 

There is no HP for an SSL but if you’re only 12 months into a 36 month lease, I would hold off until month 33 or so. Otherwise you’re just dropping your age of accounts for no gain and you’ll have to do it again in another 2 years. 

Message 37 of 131
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Yeah, I am not thinking straight. It is late and I am tired. Good point about lowering my AAoA. I am not thinking about adding a new tradeline. So, I will put this on the back burner for 18 or so months. I have my eye on a Chase 5/24 card in the short term which is why I am gardening in the first place.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 38 of 131
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it won’t actually affect Chase 5/24 since it’s an installment account. Only revolving accounts count there. But yes, definitely no benefit to getting it until you’re closer to the end of your lease.
Message 39 of 131
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is the entire deposit tied up for the duration of the loan or only the current balance?

Just a little more than the remaining balance is tied up.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 40 of 131
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.