Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU SSL

tag
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU SSL

I just log in and pay $1 every month,

Then I can check on CC, SSL, CLOC, Checking & Savings + FICO9 EQ ScoreSmiley Wink

Message 61 of 131
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

I just log in and pay $1 every month,

Then I can check on CC, SSL, CLOC, Checking & Savings + FICO9 EQ ScoreSmiley Wink

I do that multiple times a month anyway 😂 

Message 62 of 131
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@satio wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The trick with the SSL is that NFCU pushes your payment due date back by however many payments you pay in advance instead of shortening the life of the loan. Since the score benefit is only good when you have an active installment loan and even further, there is an additional boost when you pay it down to 8.9% of the original amount, this means you can take out a 5 year loan ($3010 would be the minimum I would do or you could stuck with a 3 year term), pay it immediately down to 8.9% remaining, and then you get the scoring benefit for the next 5 years. Just make sure you make a small payment towards it of a couple bucks every few months so that it doesn’t go inactive on your credit report and stop counting. 

I'm getting ready to do the same transaction with NFCU.  Please clarify the last piece of this puzzle from your latest post.

After paying it down immediately to push out the next due payment and bring balance owed to < 8.9, I also need to make some small token payment on some sort of regular frequency between the loan date and the pushed out due date so that it remains "active" with CRAs?

You can make a small payment every month, 3 or 6 months. It's up to you. I wouldn't let it go a year dormant with Navy. I'm not sure what their policy is with dormancy. If the account is active, then they should be reporting to the CRAs. I've set mine up to autopay monthly.

ETA Woops. Missed the other replies addressing the question.

Message 63 of 131
Anonymous
Not applicable

Happy day!

They updated that I paid it down. 

EX: 690 -> 721

EQ: 698 -> 721

TU: 701 -> 729

That was worthwhile for sure. 

Message 64 of 131
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations Saeren! That was very much worth it!
Message 65 of 131
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Happy day!

They updated that I paid it down. 

EX: 690 -> 721

EQ: 698 -> 721

TU: 701 -> 729

That was worthwhile for sure. 

Congratulations! Those are great scores.

Message 66 of 131
Anonymous
Not applicable

720-730 was the range I expected so I got exactly what I wanted out of it. Totally happy with that. Smiley Happy

Message 67 of 131
Anonymous
Not applicable

Saeren You are the man!
Message 68 of 131
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Saeren You are the man!

It’s been a busy year!

Since January I’m up 50 points on EX, 77 on TU, and 36 on EQ. If I can make myself actually garden, I will gain another 10-20 points before my BK falls. 

Message 69 of 131
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have done an excellent job, Saeren! Congratulations and great work! Enjoy!
Message 70 of 131
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.