Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Security Department Verification

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Security Department Verification

Hello!

Several questions, but first some background...

I'm working in rebuild my credit post BK. Reading forums, NFCU seems to be a great CU for this since I burned my former CU in the BK.

My grandfather was in the Navy. I called to apply since I was applying under association with a relative and was approved on the phone with very little interactions/questions from the rep...which surprised me...

Now I'm reading posts about issues with the security Dept... And wondering if I should hold off using the account for awhile....

Questions-
-How long should I wait until I'm 'safe' from getting frozen/reviewed by the Security Dept? 1 month?
-what paperwork do they usually ask for? I'm using my grandfather as my sponsor, but he's deceased about 20 years, so getting his social/military paperwork would be difficult. And how would they establish lineage? Birth certs? We actually have the same (uncommon) last name...

I'd love to hit any inquiry from the security department off early by having docs ready if possible Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Security Department Verification

Just to add some more info - 

-I intend to use NFCU as my primary banking institution. I  miss my old CU, but burned them in BK, so they're not an option (I did try already actually, they were very clear that it was not an option since I'd caused the CU a loss by including a CC of theirs in the BK)

-I'm definitely not in a place financially where I could survive a weeks-long hold on all my cashflow while they investigate eligibility, hence wanting to know when I'm 'safe' to use them without much risk of a blanket hold

I feel like I'm doing something 'shady' by joining them. But I swear that I'm not - my Grandfather served in the Navy in WWII, and while I was young when he passed, I do remember that he was buried with assistance from the military (they helped pay for the burial and grave marker, I believe they also required something service related on the marker itself). However - he served in WWII...which was quite a long time ago, and I was all of 11 when he passed in the 90s. There's a SLIM chance one of my aunts will have his social # somewhere, but I doubt anyone knows if he was actually a member while he was alive. For the most part I just have his name and DOB. I could fairly easily get my mother's birth cert and have mine which would show lineage. I also share the same last name as he does (uncommon - not like smith or anything). I was actually named a diminutive of his name as well as sharing his last name...

Message 2 of 6
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I would say at this point to not worry about it, and just to start conducting business as usual. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My fear is that they will freeze the acocunt which seems like a common practice. I only just opened it yesterday, so it's brand new.

On the phone, they asked me very very little about my grandfather. I think i volunteered his name/DOB/branch of service details, but they didn't really ask much else after that... I feel like they should need more details :/

Message 4 of 6
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

You can obtain a copy of your Grandfather's Birth Cert. You just need to know the City or County in which he was born, the date (approximate will do if it must) and his name. You can do it all online- or if you're close to the County/State recorder you can try in person. 

I believe with his BC you can obtain a copy of his DD214 or other doc proving service, if you're asked for it. 

I recently had to obtain BC's for relatives that passed 30 years ago for life Insurance claims. It took a little doing but they found them for me.. 

Best of Luck!!!  

I LOVE NFCU

Message 5 of 6
brother7
Established Contributor

Link to request DD214 online.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.