cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU doesn't do a hard pull for secured loans, is this true?

tag
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

NFCU doesn't do a hard pull for secured loans, is this true?

I was reading about secured loans on my phone on break while at work and definitely read a blog specifically, but casually, mention some lenders don't check your credit (they referenced NFCU) for a secured loan. I was, and am, very skeptical but looked into it.

I couldn't really find much on secured loans specifically, they talked about shared secured loans. I'm not sure what that is to be honest but it's not quite what I was looking for

I ask because one of my local credit unions told me they offered secured loans and that my old work car could be used as collateral because I own it.

The interest rate was 5%, which is excellent, but I never looked into it because my car is worth 2,100 by their estimates. That and my credit is good enough to not worry about secured loans at the moment

However, I'm in the process of looking into BT cards and were I to not get enough to cover the entire balance of my DW's high interest CC, I was considering taking out a secured loan with my car through my local credit union to perhaps cover the difference.

That's hardly set it stone, I still have plenty of self motivated reading to do on it, but was wonder if that was true about NFCU?

I wish I could find the blog I was reading at lunch! I am absolutely positive I read it correctly, but I was wanting to check the date of the blog and when it was posted to get a clue if things perhaps changed

Do you know anything about that guys? Anyone have any experience with this?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU doesn't do a hard pull for secured loans, is this true?

Are you interested in a secured loan primarily because you are hoping it will increase your credit score?

Or do you actually need the money for something?  (It sounds like you may need the money to pay off a credit card, but I am not entirely sure.)

Navy has a product that works very well for a person who doesn't need the cash itself but who's sole interest is improving his score.

Message 2 of 11
tcbofade
Super Contributor

I LOVE NFCU, but generally speaking, they like to HP and I don't know of ANY product that they issue without one.

I HAD a car loan there, I HAVE a mortgage there, I HAVE three credit cards with them.  All HPs.

Essentially, if you call them on the telephone to check your balance, expect an HP.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 3 of 11
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

I'm trying to determine the best way to absorb my wife's last two credit card debts with my good credit score, or soon to be good at least. I am likely going to apply for a BT card through my local credit union and absorb that debt.

If the SL isn't high enough to take on at least one of the accounts, I will go for a secured loan soon after with another local credit union with interest rates at 5% with my work car, I could get around 2k that way.

Both cards that need transferred to a smaller interest rate are around 7k, one card is actually a loan of some sorts now though because the bank no long provides the card to customers, they've trimmed that one out of their inventory and closed it.

Back in September I had a credit score of 520 something with the only thing I had on my credit report was two accounts sent to collections, I had them removed entirely with disputes. Between getting one removed I got a Capital One Platinum for 300 and added myself to two maxed out cards on my wife's name. I've been paying them down with fairly large payments staggered between the two. My credit is looking great at the moment now and there's still more debt to pay down on the two AUs so still have more room to grow quickly in the next month or two.

My current scores and my latest balance reflections on my last credit report two weeks ago,
704 EQ
725 TU
719 EXP

Authorized User, Capital One Platinum 2568/3500 (DW is primary user)
Authorized User, Capital One Journey 1021/1500 (DW is primary user)
Primary User, Capital One Platinum 0/300

In a month I'll be debt free with credit utilization on all three cards between 5 to 7 percent a card. I'm not sure where my credit score will stand by then, but I should be able to pick and choose something with great rates

Sadly NFCU has a promotional BT card that they stop offering the 28th of Feb. I won't have made that last payment until the 1st of March.

I've read NFCU is a bit bipolar is how they approve card applications and they also have their own internal scoring system. I can't risk (it's hard to predict how they score folks on credit cards as an AU, I have to assume the worst and infer it's possibly not as well as I'm getting scored with my FICO score) not getting enough SL to cover the balance of one card, so I won't be able to apply for it. My local credit union has a great promotional card atm though so I can make due with that.

My concern is still that I won't get enough to cover enough of her balances to get HER score up high enough to tackle whatever debt I can't cover with her own BT card.

So I was thinking, possibly apply and if I don't get approved for enough of a credit limit then immediately take my car and get a secured loan with my car as collateral to cover anything else.

Then when her score is up pay off the loan with a balance transfer at a great rate in HER name.

Message 4 of 11
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

It's all hypothetical though and I am sure there are better ways, but I'm really new to this (again, just last September) so have to take the time and figure out what I can and can't do. What are your thoughts on all that, do you think there's a better way?

The actual balances on my credit cards are down again, but I'm waiting for the new balances to be reported in two weeks. This is giving me time to build a strategy for when I can pull the trigger

They're now,

Authorized User, Capital One Journey 75/1500 (DW is primary user)
Primary User, Capital One Platinum 15/300

So with one card basically paid off, I'll see these scores jump again

704 EQ
725 TU
719 EXP

When I see how high they jump, I'll decide if I should pay off half of what is left on the last card or the full balance. I'll have to make a judgement call on how that would best turn out for me credit growth wise

I'll pull out a calculator later this week and figure out exactly what I need to leave the balances at to have them reported to the bureaus at exactly 7%, haha. I have to leave them at a balance low enough so when the minimum payment is tacked on, it lands on 7 percent exactly. I just like the number 7, I read somewhere statistically that's what the folks with scores in 800s keep their revolving credit percent at

Message 5 of 11
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@omgitsMatt wrote:

I'm trying to determine the best way to absorb my wife's last two credit card debts with my good credit score, or soon to be good at least. I am likely going to apply for a BT card through my local credit union and absorb that debt.

If the SL isn't high enough to take on at least one of the accounts, I will go for a secured loan soon after with another local credit union with interest rates at 5% with my work car, I could get around 2k that way.

Both cards that need transferred to a smaller interest rate are around 7k, one card is actually a loan of some sorts now though because the bank no long provides the card to customers, they've trimmed that one out of their inventory and closed it.

Back in September I had a credit score of 520 something with the only thing I had on my credit report was two accounts sent to collections, I had them removed entirely with disputes. Between getting one removed I got a Capital One Platinum for 300 and added myself to two maxed out cards on my wife's name. I've been paying them down with fairly large payments staggered between the two. My credit is looking great at the moment now and there's still more debt to pay down on the two AUs so still have more room to grow quickly in the next month or two.

My current scores and my latest balance reflections on my last credit report two weeks ago,
704 EQ
725 TU
719 EXP

Authorized User, Capital One Journey 1021/1500 (DW is primary user)
Primary User, Capital One Platinum 0/300

In a month I'll be debt free with credit utilization on all three cards between 5 to 7 percent a card. I'm not sure where my credit score will stand by then, but I should be able to pick and choose something with great rates

Sadly NFCU has a promotional BT card that they stop offering the 28th of Feb. I won't have made that last payment until the 1st of March.

I've read NFCU is a bit bipolar is how they approve card applications and they also have their own internal scoring system. I can't risk (it's hard to predict how they score folks on credit cards as an AU, I have to assume the worst and infer it's possibly not as well as I'm getting scored with my FICO score) not getting enough SL to cover the balance of one card, so I won't be able to apply for it. My local credit union has a great promotional card atm though so I can make due with that.

My concern is still that I won't get enough to cover enough of her balances to get HER score up high enough to tackle whatever debt I can't cover with her own BT card.

So I was thinking, possibly apply and if I don't get approved for enough of a credit limit then immediately take my car and get a secured loan with my car as collateral to cover anything else.

Then when her score is up pay off the loan with a balance transfer at a great rate in HER name.

I think that you are misunderstanding that part.  Yes, NFCU is offering 0% and/or 1.99% BTs through 28 February, then that offer will go away.

...but they'll still over their Platinum card that will come with a 0% BT fee and 0% for 12 months on new accounts.

You might wait for March, then apply for a new Platinum account with NFCU.  (...and yes, they'll pull your credit.  Smiley Happy )

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 6 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@omgitsMatt wrote:

I was reading about secured loans on my phone on break while at work and definitely read a blog specifically, but casually, mention some lenders don't check your credit (they referenced NFCU) for a secured loan. I was, and am, very skeptical but looked into it.

I couldn't really find much on secured loans specifically, they talked about shared secured loans. I'm not sure what that is to be honest but it's not quite what I was looking for

I ask because one of my local credit unions told me they offered secured loans and that my old work car could be used as collateral because I own it.

The interest rate was 5%, which is excellent, but I never looked into it because my car is worth 2,100 by their estimates. That and my credit is good enough to not worry about secured loans at the moment

However, I'm in the process of looking into BT cards and were I to not get enough to cover the entire balance of my DW's high interest CC, I was considering taking out a secured loan with my car through my local credit union to perhaps cover the difference.

That's hardly set it stone, I still have plenty of self motivated reading to do on it, but was wonder if that was true about NFCU?

I wish I could find the blog I was reading at lunch! I am absolutely positive I read it correctly, but I was wanting to check the date of the blog and when it was posted to get a clue if things perhaps changed

Do you know anything about that guys? Anyone have any experience with this?

The loans which do not require a hard pull are "Share Secured Loans" which are loans secured by a savings account.

The type of secured loan you are talking about -- a loan secured against an automobile title -- might well require a hard pull, just like a car loan would.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a member of NFCU. Looks like they do hard pull for every loan.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am a member of NFCU. Looks like they do hard pull for every loan.

For most loans no doubt but I did not get HP for SSL I opened in November.

Message 9 of 11
Carolinagirl007

Can you confirm the hard pull? They hold me yesterday that they do not do a hard pull.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.