Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU eligibility | my scenario

tag
_NERD
Established Contributor

NFCU eligibility | my scenario

I was in the army almost 20 years ago for a few months. My DD214 discharge reason says: FAILED MEDICAL PROCUREMENT STANDARDS (discharged for medical reasons while in boot camp). I don’t think I’m a veteran and never received or sought VA benefits.

If I have a DD214 showing I was in the armed forces at all, would I be eligible to join NFCU?

3B profile optimization in progress...
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU eligibility | my scenario

I would think yes, in my eyes you qualify more than most who get to join as at least you went to bootcamp , lol, cant hold it against you medical reasons held you back. I would call Navy and see what they say. Like my Dad says, 30 days or 30 years, you served. Not many can claim even a day so good luck in your journeySmiley Happy
Message 2 of 18
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I would agree with AJC. Just having your foot in the door to boot camp is way further than most others go. No harm in calling. The worst that happens is they say you are not eligible. No harm done.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 18
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I would call them and ask. The worst they could say is no. If you can join NFCU, you should becuase Navy Federal is an excellent CU.

Please let us know what they say. I am curious.

Guyatthebeach

Message 4 of 18
_NERD
Established Contributor

I will let y’all know. I have lots to do next week credit wise, and I intend to knock some of it out on the beach @ Maui Smiley Wink

Edit: does NFCU HP on new checking/savings accts if I’m not seeking a CC on the way in? If I get in on a SP could I get a CC later on via SP?

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@_NERD wrote:
@I will let y’all know. I have lots to do next week credit wise, and I intend to knock some of it out on the beach @ Maui Smiley Wink

Edit: does NFCU HP on new checking/savings accts if I’m not seeking a CC on the way in? If I get in on a SP could I get a CC later on via SP?

Most recent reports show that there is no longer any HP for membership.  You WILL get a HP for a credit card.

Message 6 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@_NERD wrote:
@I will let y’all know. I have lots to do next week credit wise, and I intend to knock some of it out on the beach @ Maui Smiley Wink

Most recent reports show that there is no longer any HP for membership.  You WILL get a HP for a credit card.

+1

Membership shouldn't be a HP, but any credit product definitely will be.  (They often make it worth it, though.)

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@_NERD wrote:
I was in the army almost 20 years ago for a few months. My DD214 discharge reason says: FAILED MEDICAL PROCUREMENT STANDARDS (discharged for medical reasons while in boot camp). I don’t think I’m a veteran and never received or sought VA benefits.

If I have a DD214 showing I was in the armed forces at all, would I be eligible to join NFCU?

Did you ever join? 

My DD214 says the same thing, "FAILED MEDICAL / PHYSICAL / PROCUREMENT STANDARDS".  I was discharged in basic due to an injury that occurred there.  I wasn't med board; so I don't have veteran status either.  A few months ago I called NFCU and explained my situation and asked if I was eligible to join.  The lady I talked to put me on hold for about 30 seconds, and when she came back she said I was eligible.  Her voice really picked up when I mentioned I had a DD214.  She asked me to read some things off of it and asked how I wanted to fund my new accounts.  No hard pull for opening savings and checking. 

Be honest about your situation.  You don't want to commit fraud, and you also don't want to run afoul of the Stolen Valor Act.

Message 8 of 18
_NERD
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@_NERD wrote:

Did you ever join? 

My DD214 says the same thing, "FAILED MEDICAL / PHYSICAL / PROCUREMENT STANDARDS".  I was discharged in basic due to an injury that occurred there.  I wasn't med board; so I don't have veteran status either.  A few months ago I called NFCU and explained my situation and asked if I was eligible to join.  The lady I talked to put me on hold for about 30 seconds, and when she came back she said I was eligible.  Her voice really picked up when I mentioned I had a DD214.  She asked me to read some things off of it and asked how I wanted to fund my new accounts.  No hard pull for opening savings and checking. 

Be honest about your situation.  You don't want to commit fraud, and you also don't want to run afoul of the Stolen Valor Act.

My apologies for the delayed response. Joining NFCU has slipped my mind. I reached out to their Social Care Team on Facebook and they assured me that I am eligible. Exciting news for people with a scenario similar to ours!

Message 9 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@_NERD wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@_NERD wrote:

Did you ever join? 

My apologies for the delayed response. Joining NFCU has slipped my mind. I reached out to their Social Care Team on Facebook and they assured me that I am eligible. Exciting news for people with a scenario similar to ours!

Fantastic news indeed, @_NERD!  Thanks for letting us know!  Smiley Very Happy

(You're going to love NFCU!)

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.