Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU not my week with CUs

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

NFCU not my week with CUs

I opened up an account and then sponsored my husband. We each have checking/savings and got approved for credit cards.  I received  my credit card no debit he got vice versa but neither got pins sent for debit  cards.  Is it normal to get debit card before pins?

OK so I was in work last night and activated my credit card and his debit card. I saw a feature online that you could change your pin number I thought well I will try so hubby can have a number he knows lol. l select his debit card from drop down menu then enter new pin twice easy right , I immediately get a message they are going to call his cell with code rut roh He gets a call and knows nothing about it Smiley Sad 

Ok no problem will fix in the morning I log in to his account with him here and cellphone but this time it asks to answer 2 security questions ok easy enough NOPE they ask a question that we 100% did not put down as one his security questions, WTH ok it logs me out and then locks his account he has to call ok. (Keep in mind my husband wanted to open locally not online bank but I talked him into it)

He calls they refuse to change pin even after he answered numerous questions stated he has to go into a branch (none near us) or mail a written request to change pin. Now I am all for security features but this is frigging ridiculous . I am really at my wits end with this creditunionsSmiley Sad(

Sorry for long post I am just beyond frustrated 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU not my week with CUs

Hi @Jnbmom, I've put some line breaks in your post for ease of reading.  Smiley Wink

I'm sorry to hear of your issues with NFCU.  While I'm a little confused about the order of events (has your husband received his debit card yet?) it's clear that his issue is now security related with NFCU.

Once the debit card is received in the mail, your husband (not you) should call them to see what can be done to remedy the ID situation.  While you mean well, any further contact with NFCU on his behalf should be initiated by him, at least until this is resolved.

Due to ID theft, banks and CUs have various ways to verify the ID customers (for CU's, "members"); this is by design meant to insure that they are dealing with the member/customer, and in this case it was effective.  It's not surprising that when a new customer fails basic cell phone verification that he is flagged for further scrutiny. 

I'm sure that NFCU has dealt with this before, but getting to the resolution might require a little patience on your husband's (and your) part.  Once he receives the debit card in the mail, your husband should reach out to them and explain that you're not local to a branch, and see what other options for removing the restriction are available.

Edited to add:  Assuming there are no other account restrictions, having to request a PIN change via snail-mail at this point isn't unreasonable.

Message 2 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

He in fact has his debit card and personally called them this morning, they were not helpful in anyway and basically said they couldn't tell him why they wouldn't help him change his pin. They just stated go in person to branch (impossible ) or mail written request. They were kinda of rude which was the complete  opposite of how I was treated.

He is about to say the hell with it. He is not one to jump through hoops if you know what I mean lol. He already had me inquire at a local bank in town .

Thanks for the breaks in my post I apologize  for the length.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Jnbmom wrote:

He in fact has his debit card and personally called them this morning, they were not helpful in anyway and basically said they couldn't tell him why they wouldn't help him change his pin. They just stated go in person to branch (impossible ) or mail written request. They were kinda of rude which was the complete  opposite of how I was treated.

He is about to say the hell with it. He is not one to jump through hoops if you know what I mean lol. He already had me inquire at a local bank in town .

I do understand; but before he throws-in-the-towel I would send (mail) them a quick letter about the PIN change to see if that would clear things up.  If it does, he might decide they aren't so bad after all (especially since you've been pleased there yourself).

In the end if he doesn't want to, though, that's understandable as well - online banking isn't for everybody.  I do think that once NFCU is more certain they are dealing with him they will get "friendlier".  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Thanks we may send the letter not sure yet lol. But in the mean time I think I might have to move my DD back to my other account , I thought one of us would have an active debit card by nowSmiley Sad

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would just stop by a branch dressed as him, problem solved.
Message 6 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I should add the second CSR that he spoke with was a little better he did unlock his account and give him access online again.

He had to answer several questions and he even texted him a code to his phone to read back to him. Although he reinstated his account access he could not help with pin but did say your debit card is active and ready to use. Now I know he could use for visa purchase but nothing with pin

So he can use his card but for security reasons we can't help you change your pin. .😕😕
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Jnbmom wrote:
I should add the second CSR that he spoke with was a little better he did unlock his account and give him access online again.

He had to answer several questions and he even texted him a code to his phone to read back to him. Although he reinstated his account access he could not help with pin but did say your debit card is active and ready to use. Now I know he could use for visa purchase but nothing with pin

So he can use his card but for security reasons we can't help you change your pin. .😕😕

I know it's not what you want to hear, but in this case they are right... the PIN change request is what caused the issue to begin with and was what set the flag, so it's reasonable to need more 'proof' to complete that.  (To be fair, their fraud system didn't mess up... it really wasn't your husband requesting the initial change, it was you.) 

I'm pleased they have agreed to reinstate his other privileges, and once they get the PIN change request via snail-mail everything should be fine.  Smiley Happy

I know this seems like a pain, but considering how many people have basic info on each of us it's understandable why any bank/CU would take extra precautions, especially with brand-new members.  Without the extra precautions it would be trivial for someone (an ex-spouse, for example) to impersonate a CU member online and cause great mischief.

Message 8 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Yes you are exactly right. I started the screw up harmlessly of course, but none the less I will probably get him to mail a letter after he calms down lol.

Just after DCU giving me the run around with adding him I am just kinda tired of CUs at this particular moment.
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 9 of 10
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:
Yes you are exactly right. I started the screw up harmlessly of course, but none the less I will probably get him to mail a letter after he calms down lol.

Just after DCU giving me the run around with adding him I am just kinda tired of CUs at this particular moment.

I hate to say this but this is becoming the norm not the exception... even banks and CUs are getting very paranoid about fraud and security.... I do wish banks would really go to 2FA for logins and such.... And no not just your phone... a token fob and a password, perhaps with a phone code as well.... Do think the current financial climate has made this situation much worse than it used to be... its another replacement giving up privacy and convienence for security and not making a reasonabe balance between the two... 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.