Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU now apparently requiring DD-214 for membership

tag
gizmotchy
Valued Member

NFCU now apparently requiring DD-214 for membership

Long time Lurker, first post in a long time.  I learned today for the first time about the changes to NFCU's field of membership, which make me eligible (my deceased grandfather was enlisted in the Army during WWII).  Thing is, I myself do not have a copy of his DD-214 (I think one of my uncles do, as I'm sure that would have been necessary to get the full military honors funeral that was held for him).  When I called in for membership, the CS rep said I would need to have a copy of that on-hand, and would not proceed without it.  I was even able to find his elistment data on the national archives website.  Just something I thought people should be aware of!

Beginning Scores 5/10/2014: EX 604, EQ 587, TU 658 Current 11/9/2015: EQ 665 TU 665 (FAKO) EX 659 (FAKO)
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU now apparently requiring DD-214 for membership

@gizmotchy     Just to verify she would NOT open your Account Until you submitted the DD214 or she said you will need it for your Account.    You do have to have proof of course if you are Audited and do not have said proof you are in jeopardy of freezing or losing your account.     I just want to make sure of what specifically she/they said.

Message 2 of 36
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

It is possible that NFCU could be cracking down on membership.

Message 3 of 36
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Proof has always been required. It just wasn't enforced. They can request those documents at any time from everyone.

Message 4 of 36
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Message 5 of 36
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@gizmotchy, Here might be some helpful info?

https://www.va.gov/records/get-military-service-records/

LOL, you beat me to the punch; Standard Form 180 (aka SF180) is the form one needs to request military records for kin.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 6 of 36
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

I strongly doubt OP's experience was caused by a change in NFCU policy. Due to the pandemic, the National Personnel Records Center, which is responsible for producing DD-214's for a huge swath of veterans, has been basically closed for the past year for everything other than emergency records requests. 

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

Even though it looks like they are currently bringing more workers back onsite, NPRC has roughly a one-year backlog of requests, so it will be a very long time before they catch up.

If Navy insisted on having forms that are impossible for many people to obtain, that would put a serious dent in their membership growth. That would be a big change, which would require a big cause (such as a regulator's investigation and order). We would have heard something about that. 

Until we have more evidence of a change, I think it is more reasonable to chalk this up to a misunderstanding.

Message 7 of 36
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

@gizmotchy wrote:

Long time Lurker, first post in a long time.  I learned today for the first time about the changes to NFCU's field of membership, which make me eligible (my deceased grandfather was enlisted in the Army during WWII).  Thing is, I myself do not have a copy of his DD-214 (I think one of my uncles do, as I'm sure that would have been necessary to get the full military honors funeral that was held for him).  When I called in for membership, the CS rep said I would need to have a copy of that on-hand, and would not proceed without it.  I was even able to find his elistment data on the national archives website.  Just something I thought people should be aware of!

While I would love to see this be the new requirement after four years of floodgate memberships, I wonder if this was just the representative you got.

I would call back to speak with a different member representative to see if you get the same result. 

Message 8 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

In a world where PenFed got a national charter and is putting it to use, I can't see NFCU cracking down on membership nor can I see NCUA auditing NFCU memberships. The reps are supposed to tell you how to get a DD-214 but with the fact you literally can't get one right now, I can't see NFCU sending all that business elsewhere. 

Message 9 of 36
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous, Correct me if I am wrong .. but does'nt Navy have a way on checking certain DD-214's?

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.