Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU now has Zelle!

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU Zelle is alive!

So this is better than Venmo I take it? I use that with my DD in college and have used Venmo quite often. 

This is a faster alternative?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 21 of 41
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Jnbmom wrote:

So this is better than Venmo I take it? I use that with my DD in college and have used Venmo quite often. 

Zelle is bank account to bank account... no third-party is involved (Zelle itself is 'baked in' to the bank app). 

You don't have to bother with transferring to-or-from Venmo.  Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 41
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@UncleB wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

Zelle is bank account to bank account... no third-party is involved (Zelle itself is 'baked in' to the bank app). 

You don't have to bother with transferring to-or-from Venmo.  Smiley Wink

thanksSmiley Happy

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 23 of 41
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU now has Zelle!

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Gotcha, so it's a service that can be used between different financial institutions.  Kind of like Chase Pay for multiple people that have Chase accounts that can do near immediate transfers, Zelle would allow that between different banks.

Yep! Chase Bank has quickpay and they use Zelle. Actually had Chase checking and closed it months ago when we transferred all of our accounts over to Navy. When we signed up for Navy's Zelle this morning, Navy had to actually pull our Chase Zelle even though the account had been closed. Don't really understand why that had to occur. But, gave them the okay to transfer the Zelle over to Navy. And, soon after, received an email from Chase that the Zelle app was transferred to Navy. 

A bit odd.  Maybe someone on these boards can explain why you may not be able to have two different banking institutions and use the Zelle app at both. 

I'm glad to hear NFCU has the ability to 'fetch' an email or phone number from another institution... when USAA migrated to Zelle there were many complaints by members who's email/phone were erroneously registered to old (closed) accounts at other banks. 

USAA would refer them to the old bank to get the email/phone number "freed up" but that was often a problem since the person was many times no longer a customer at the other bank.  As you can imagine, there was a lot of frustration. 

Either Zelle got that worked out for all participating banks, or NFCU is really on-the-ball... in either case, bravo! Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 41
outofcredit
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Gotcha, so it's a service that can be used between different financial institutions.  Kind of like Chase Pay for multiple people that have Chase accounts that can do near immediate transfers, Zelle would allow that between different banks.

Yep! Chase Bank has quickpay and they use Zelle. Actually had Chase checking and closed it months ago when we transferred all of our accounts over to Navy. When we signed up for Navy's Zelle this morning, Navy had to actually pull our Chase Zelle even though the account had been closed. Don't really understand why that had to occur. But, gave them the okay to transfer the Zelle over to Navy. And, soon after, received an email from Chase that the Zelle app was transferred to Navy. 

A bit odd.  Maybe someone on these boards can explain why you may not be able to have two different banking institutions and use the Zelle app at both. 

I'm glad to hear NFCU has the ability to 'fetch' an email or phone number from another institution... when USAA migrated to Zelle there were many complaints by members who's email/phone were erroneously registered to old (closed) accounts at other banks. 

USAA would refer them to the old bank to get the email/phone number "freed up" but that was often a problem since the person was many times no longer a customer at the other bank.  As you can imagine, there was a lot of frustration. 

Either Zelle got that worked out for all participating banks, or NFCU is really on-the-ball... in either case, bravo! Smiley Happy

I had the same issues initially with USAA bank also. One thing I did notice while registering for NFCU Zelle, although it "pulled" my phone information into the app, I only "verified" the unique email address for them and didn't bother to verify the phone number because I use the phone number at a different institution. If I had verified the phone number I am sure it would have "pulled" the phone number registration from the other institution.

Instead of waiting for the storm to pass, I've learned to dance in the rain.
Message 25 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heads up, y'all. Only use Zelle with trusted people. People have gotten burned using it for money transfers with strangers, as there is no credit protection. 

@outofcredit
Message 26 of 41
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Heads up, y'all. Only use Zelle with trusted people. People have gotten burned using it for money transfers with strangers, as there is no credit protection. 

Yep, this isn't Paypal... Zelle is for transferring money directly into the accounts of people who are known to you.

If you want buyer's protection stick with Paypal (or similar).

Message 27 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep, this isn't Paypal... Zelle is for transferring money directly into the accounts of people who are known to you.

If you want buyer's protection stick with Paypal (or similar).

UncleB what do you need from me? Putting in some windows and need about $2K Smiley Mad

Message 28 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

It also only works if you have a checking account at Navy..I only have my savings there and I can’t put money there from my us bank accounts which sucks for me.🙃
Message 29 of 41
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
It also only works if you have a checking account at Navy..I only have my savings there and I can’t put money there from my us bank accounts which sucks for me.🙃

Yep, unless I'm mistaken I think this is the case with all Zelle participating banks/CUs.  Smiley Sad

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.