Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU question

Ok peeps , so navy fed seems to be an awesome credit union. I do have military ties in my family but always assumed I couldn’t join because 1. Both members in my family that were in the military are dead, unfortunately. My oldest brother was in the army and was Kia in 2009. My father was in Vietnam (marines) but he died in 2007. My brothers widow doesn’t speak to us , so there is no way to any kind of info from her about my brothers military info. My mom doesn’t know where any of my dads info when he was in the military is . Is there any other way I can get that info, or is joining simply not going to happen ? Thanks guys !
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU question

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok peeps , so navy fed seems to be an awesome credit union. I do have military ties in my family but always assumed I couldn’t join because 1. Both members in my family that were in the military are dead, unfortunately. My oldest brother was in the army and was Kia in 2009. My father was in Vietnam (marines) but he died in 2007. My brothers widow doesn’t speak to us , so there is no way to any kind of info from her about my brothers military info. My mom doesn’t know where any of my dads info when he was in the military is . Is there any other way I can get that info, or is joining simply not going to happen ? Thanks guys !

I am sorry to hear about your brother Smiley Sad You need only call NFCU and apply for membership over the phone. They do not seem to be requesting any proof at this time. Should they want proof, you can order your father's DD214 very easily. 

Message 2 of 15
brother7
Established Contributor

Here's the link to request DD-214 for your father and brother: https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

It's a good thing to request both, just as a matter of preserving family historical records. Makes it easier down the road in case someone decides to research family genealogy.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 3 of 15
SFLSpotter9210
Valued Contributor

Condolences to you with your brother and father may they RIP. I just joined last month over the phone. The military relationship is through my wife. But they never asked for her dd214. But regardless of that you should be able to verify their info. I say apply over phone and you should be good to go. Good luck and let us all know how it goes .
NFCU Flagship 32,500 | Penfed PowerCash 8,750 | PENFED GOLD 12,500 | PenFed PL 20,000 | NFCU AMEX Rewards 37,500 | NFCU GoRewards 7,000 | FNBO VISA SIGNATURE 9,400 | Capital One Quicksilver 6,300 | Lowe’s 34,500 | Wells Fargo Propel 19,700 | Barclay Apple1k | Citi Rewards+ 12,100 | Citi Double Cash 14,800 | Citi Simplicity 7,000 | PNC Core VISA 22,500 | USAA AMEX 13,000 | Discover 19,500 | BB&T Rewards 4,500 | BB&T Bright Card 4,500 | GS Apple 6,000 | Chevron 2,500 | Fico 8 Scores EQ=764 | EX=775 | TU=757scores and CL current as of 04/04/24 AAoA years 24 months | AoOA=18yrs
Message 4 of 15
chhull00
Frequent Contributor

I just joined NFCU myself and like the others on here said, they will just ask who and what branch of military, and you should be good to go, when i called and applied they where super nice, and after that they called me to arrange my account set it up everything, I was so impressed that they take such care with their members, you wont be dissapointedSmiley LOLHeart

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all!! I will be giving them a call more than likely on Monday and will update here . I will also fill out the form to order the dd214. I feel weird to be honest , to be using them to join a credit union , since they are not here anymore . My father and brother were awesome men , and I was very close to them both , they are dearly missed . Thank you all for your kind comments and help!
Message 6 of 15
AllZero
Mega Contributor

^ NFCU is open 24/7. Should be a 15 minute phone conversation. 30-45 minutes if you like to chat and apply for products.
Message 7 of 15
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Condolences to you and your loved ones.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Allzero, I will call right now then thank you so much for the info . Hopefully all goes well! I will update .
Message 9 of 15
AllZero
Mega Contributor

^ Good luck. It should all go smoothly. Hope to see your approval for membership and CC products soon.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.