Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU through Navy League Time Line

tag
armymom
Regular Contributor

Re: NFCU through Navy League Time Line

June 19 Joined Navy League San Diego chapter online and received welcome email

June 22 Joined NFCU in my local branch. Opened checking and savings.  Applied for GoRewards and was given the 24 hr wait.  By the time I got home 10 minuted later I received a text saying I was approved.

June 23 Recieved call from branch associate saying I was approved for GoRewards.(I asked her to call not thinking I would have a reply so quickly)  I also decided to apply for a CLOC and was approved for 500 (wish I would have asked for a higher amount now)

So far no problems.  I've been very pleased with their customer service the few times I've had to call.  I'm still hesitant to make them my main checking and savings knowing others have had the nightmare of having their accounts frozen so time will tell.  And I plan to renew my membership to NL as well.  Having a son who went through four deployments, we can never do enough to support all branches of our military.

Filed BK 07/07/15 Discharged 10/07/15
Starting scores 11/2015 EQ 567 TU 487 EX 531
Current scores 02/2017 EQ 649, TU 642, EX 651

Cap 1 QS 5000 Cap 1 QS 6500, PenFed Promise 2500, NFCU GoRewards 8000 NFCU CLOC 4000
In the garden until 2018
Message 11 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no idea which NFCU thread to use, so I'll just pick this one.  Joined NLUS on Monday, and applied online to NFCU.  I got an email today asking for documentation of my eligibility to join. The list of documents given was only the usual affiliations, but I sent my reply email with the NLUS (San Diego) confirmation and also a copy of my CC transactions showing the payment.  Waiting impatiently for the next email...

Message 12 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have no idea which NFCU thread to use, so I'll just pick this one.  Joined NLUS on Monday, and applied online to NFCU.  I got an email today asking for documentation of my eligibility to join. The list of documents given was only the usual affiliations, but I sent my reply email with the NLUS (San Diego) confirmation and also a copy of my CC transactions showing the payment.  Waiting impatiently for the next email...

Good luck to you...

Message 13 of 73
Billybob_TX
Frequent Contributor

Sit tight. Wait till you submit docs to the BSA people. That will be the next email, could be a day, could be a week or more. Then you are in.

Message 14 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is all so awesome! So, glad Yourewelcome shared!!!!!! But, I have a question. Please take it easy on me. Some of you guys can get rude on these threads... LOL! But, I recently applied under my step sister. I'm currently under review and just submitted my documents (wish I would have seen this thread first!). I'm pretty green to all this stuff, but I'm currently working on establishing credit and my sister (step) advised I join. I'm a bit nervous after reading throught some of the threads about account freezes and such... Do you think I open a Navy League membership after having already applied under my sister. That would help? Mind you, my thought is that I may get flagged. What do you all think?

Message 15 of 73
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is all so awesome! So, glad Yourewelcome shared!!!!!! But, I have a question. Please take it easy on me. Some of you guys can get rude on these threads... LOL! But, I recently applied under my step sister. I'm currently under review and just submitted my documents (wish I would have seen this thread first!). I'm pretty green to all this stuff, but I'm currently working on establishing credit and my sister (step) advised I join. I'm a bit nervous after reading throught some of the threads about account freezes and such... Do you think I open a Navy League membership after having already applied under my sister. That would help? Mind you, my thought is that I may get flagged. What do you all think?

Hello and welcome to the forum!  Smiley Happy

NFCU doens't make a distinction between step-sibling (and step-parent) and the non-step variety, so to them it's as if you're gaining membership from your sister.  In my case, I gained membership from my step-brother, and I've had no problems at all. 

Up until a few months ago he was active duty USAF, and I had him join first so there would be a 'clear' path to membership.  While his joining first wasn't required by NFCU (I could have joined simply because he was active duty) those who join without their sponsor being a member are the ones who tend to report having verification issues later down the road.  In my case, when I joined I was able to provide his access number as my 'sponsor', which clearly linked us in their systems.  My membership was approved immediately online, and a few minutes later I was approved for a MasterCard as well.

In your case, as long as your step-sister's membership is 'clear' you'll have no problems. 

I hope this helps... again, welcome to myFICO!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

As UncleB said, welcome to MyFico. Good luck to you. It sounds as though you will be fine. 

Message 17 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great! Thanks so much!
Message 18 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

joined navy league one day.  next day did an online memebership and emailed my docs in without them asking.  ID, social card, utility bill, two last pay stubs.  approved 2 days later.  pretty fast for me not going in a branch.  did not bug them . i knew they are busy with many apps. 

Message 19 of 73
DrForce
Valued Member

Well I'm a little jealous of how fast everyone got approved through NLSD. Mine took almost a full month, not including the time between when I applied to NL and Navy Federal. My timeline:

June 16 - Applied for NL membership. Life got in the way so I didn't apply for Navy Federal membership for almost a full month later. 

July 16 - Applied for Navy Federal membership via email using the suggestions in the master thread (included NLSD letter as well as credit card transaction information showing that I paid for membership)

July 22 - Heard nothing so I called in. They said it takes longer when joining through NLSD because they have to verify the membership. They confirmed they did have my membership application though. They said I would hear something by next week.

July 29 - Still had not heard anything so I called in again. They said I would hear something by the middle of next week. 

August 3 - Heard nothing so I called in again and they confirmed everything was in order and the approval would come soon. 

August 5 - Transunion Hard Pull

August 11 - Recieved welcome email. 

Hope everyone else's approval process is faster but I'm still greatful for being accepted and for all the information people have posted on this board. Thanks!

Message 20 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.