Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU through Navy League Time Line

tag
Kmon
Established Member

Re: NFCU through Navy League Time Line

Ok I know what the other poster is refering to I applied through the navy league and requested to be put in the San Diego chapter and I was placed in that chapter but I never recieved a welcome email from the San Diego chapter itself just a welcome email detailing my membership a the chapter i requested but NFCU is asking for a welcome email so would that be the email you send I sent that email along with a copy of my membership card since the wait is so long at this point I recieved it in the mail

Message 31 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yay!!! I was finally approved for membership. So I applied online back in the beginning of August but I wasn't aware that I would have to follow up with them so I gave them a call and they were asking for proof of sibling eligibility (birth certificates) and I didn't want to have to make my sister order an out to country birth cert because hers wasn't locally available so I went to plan b and joined The Navy League of The United States. At this time I did not know that I needed to select San Diego Council so this was the main hold up. I emailed them 2 proofs of address and my drivers license because my address was different on my license. So to make a long story short this is what worked for me. * I did not apply for the Credit Card because they did a hard pull with the membership and the CC would cause another hard pull so I think I am going to try to resist the urge until I get my score up to about 650. 

myFICO

Equifax: 603

TransUnion: 598

Experian: 597

Two proofs of address and a copy of my DL's

A paper membership (I was told when using the affiliation you must complete a paper application)

My membership invoice of $25.00  (make sure when signing up you request San Diego Council very important!!!

That was all!! After all the back and fourth this was all they required. If you make the mistake by not asking for the San Diego Council copy and paste your invoice into word and type it in like listed below. But you must make sure to call Navy League of The United States and tell them to add you to San Diego Council. They won't add it to the invoice so just do it yourself.

Hope this information is helpful Smiley Happy

Citizenship

U.S. Citizen

You will be assigned a Council based on your zip code unless you have a preferred council.

SAN DIEGO COUNCIL

Credit Card Payment

Credit Card

Visa
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Order

Product

Qty

Unit Price

Price

E-Membership - $25 (includes online Seapower Magazine and Almanac)

$25.00

$25.00

Total:

$25.00

Message 32 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

09-12-16 - Applied for membership. Received welcome email. Printed off letter and proof of payment

09-13-16 - Downloaded forms and Applied for membership application via email. 

09-15-16 - Called in for status. Membership and application not found

09-19-16. Called in again - not found. Decided to go to branch directly. Branch manager said "WE DO NOT TAKE ONLINE MEMBERSHIP LETTERS. YOU HAVE TO HAVE SOMEONE IN THE NAVY MILITARY TO APPLY TODAY".  She took my membership letter and faxed it in to headquarters and said wait 48 hours to become a member. Felt like a real idiot. 

09-20-16 - Decided to fax in the application. 

09-22-16- Call in for status. Not found. Call back 48 hours

So far so bad. This isn't as easy as everyone says it is. 

Message 33 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

09-12-16 - Applied for membership. Received welcome email. Printed off letter and proof of payment

09-19-16. Called in again - not found. Decided to go to branch directly. Branch manager said "WE DO NOT TAKE ONLINE MEMBERSHIP LETTERS. YOU HAVE TO HAVE SOMEONE IN THE NAVY MILITARY TO APPLY TODAY".  She took my membership letter and faxed it in to headquarters and said wait 48 hours to become a member. Felt like a real idiot. 

Have you faxed them a paper application? If not fax it to them along with the other documents and also email them the docs to BSADOCS@navyfederal.org  and you should get a response by tomorrow. Also make sure your payment letter states San Diego Council. 

Message 34 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nevermind. 

I called back in and they approved me for the checking and savings. Said they were behind in processing. 

CL of $23K

CLOC of $15K

I can't believe it. 

Smiley Very Happy

Message 35 of 73
echoecho
Regular Contributor

Yes they were/are backup processing. Took me almost 4 weeks, soon as approved all set up less than an hour. Patience pays.
Message 36 of 73
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sorry you had problems (and I'm glad to read in a later post that it all worked out) but this is why I'm a big advocate of NLUS people gaining membership via snail mail.  Smiley Wink

The in-person experience is completely YMMV - it's literally "feast or famine" depending on the local branch - and hunting down email/applications for some has been like playing a game of whack-a-mole.

Note that I'm not saying branch, email, fax, and online methods don't work - clearly for some they have - it's just that with snail mail there seems to be more consistency in the experience.

As I said before, if you use one of the non-recommended methods of applying, be sure you set you expectations accordinglySmiley Wink

Message 37 of 73
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nevermind. 

I called back in and they approved me for the checking and savings. Said they were behind in processing. 

CL of $23K

CLOC of $15K

I can't believe it. 

Smiley Very Happy

That's awesome. What are your stats, can you share them, credit score, any baddies, current accounts and uti?

Thanks,

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 38 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine doesn't look so good either.

Aug 18:  Joined Navy League.  Began NFCU application online; realized you can't do a Navy League membership that way.  

~Aug 25:  Took Navy League letters, IDs and paper application to branch.  The second letter wouldn't print properly.  The branch said they couldn't do anything with it because they couldn't read it, but faxed everything in anyway.  

Aug 31:  received e-mail asking for new application along with eligibility documentation.  E-mailed the two Navy League e-mails.  

Sept 7:  received e-mail that said the documents we sent were still too small to read and they couldn't enlarge them, please re-submit printed copies by mail, along with yet another paper application.

~Sept 13 (we were out of town a few days):  paper app snail-mailed in with 3x font-size (Smiley Very Happy) printouts of Navy League e-mails

Sept 23:  haven't heard a peep.  Guess it's time to call.

==========================

Just wondering why I reverted to a "new" contributor?  Dang.  I used to be valued.  

Message 39 of 73
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Mine doesn't look so good either.

Aug 18:  Joined Navy League.  Began NFCU application online; realized you can't do a Navy League membership that way.  

~Aug 25:  Took Navy League letters, IDs and paper application to branch.  The second letter wouldn't print properly.  The branch said they couldn't do anything with it because they couldn't read it, but faxed everything in anyway.  

Aug 31:  received e-mail asking for new application along with eligibility documentation.  E-mailed the two Navy League e-mails.  

Sept 7:  received e-mail that said the documents we sent were still too small to read and they couldn't enlarge them, please re-submit printed copies by mail, along with yet another paper application.

~Sept 13 (we were out of town a few days):  paper app snail-mailed in with 3x font-size (Smiley Very Happy) printouts of Navy League e-mails

Sept 23:  haven't heard a peep.  Guess it's time to call.

==========================

Just wondering why I reverted to a "new" contributor?  Dang.  I used to be valued.  

Yeah, I would probably give them a call as well.  I'm sorry you've having such a difficult time.  Smiley Sad

I can 'shine some light' on your rank, though... you've been promoted!  'New Contributor' is higher than 'Valued Member'.  Smiley Wink

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Community-Ranks/m-p/3888542#U3888542

Message 40 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.