Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy FCU Membership Denial Appeal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy FCU Membership Denial Appeal

Hi everyone!

I have a quick question about appealing a membership denial. Here is the full story.

I applied over the phone for a membership and was approved, my grandfather was in the Army and gave the rep information even though she didn’t really request it. I opened a checking and savings account and set up online access with her. All seemed well. A few days later, I decided to apply for a credit card and was approved. I was ecstatic. I got a message that I needed to send in docs to verify my identity. I wasn’t surprised by this as my mother who recently joined had gone through the same thing.

So I emailed my license and copy of the water bill but just the bill pay portion with my name and address on it. I got a response that the document was cut off so I resent in a copy of a W-2 and a paystub. This is where the confusion came from. Last year, I started a new job mid year. The W-2 from that employer that I submitted only showed the earnings I made for part of the year. The paystub shows my income but obviously doesn’t match up to the amount on the W-2 since it shows I made way less.

So I get an email that my membership was denied because of the documents I submitted. I called a rep told me there was an alert saying the account could have been open fraudulently since the numbers from the W-2 and the paystub didn’t match up. He suggested I submit both W-2s from last year and explain the timeline of switching employers to them. So the next day I submitted both W-2s and a water bill and passport picture so they know it’s me and also explaining my new position. I also explained that my new position involved a significant pay increase which I put on my applications and can be shown from my pay stubs.

So my question is, does NFCU really look into and review appeals for membership denials? I tried to go into a branch to explain further and they said since it was with security review they couldn’t do much but to wait 15 business days for a decision. I know they are strict in their requirements but this just seems like a case of misunderstanding, I just wish they reached out and asked about it before sending a denial. Anyone have any experience or thoughts if I will eventually be approved. I wasn’t dishonest in any way but I can see how they would see a slight discrepancy from the paystub and the W-2. Sorry this was long and thank you!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Navy FCU Membership Denial Appeal

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone!

I have a quick question about appealing a membership denial. Here is the full story. I applied over the phone for a membership and was approved, my grandfather was in the Army and gave the rep information even though she didn’t really request it. I opened a checking and savings account and set up online access with her. All seemed well. A few days later, I decided to apply for a credit card and was approved. I was ecstatic. I got a message that I needed to send in docs to verify my identity. I wasn’t surprised by this as my mother who recently joined had gone through the same thing. So I emailed my license and copy of the water bill but just the bill pay portion with my name and address on it. I got a response that the document was cut off so I resent in a copy of a W-2 and a paystub. This is where the confusion came from. Last year, I started a new job mid year. The W-2 from that employer that I submitted only showed the earnings I made for part of the year. The paystub shows my income but obviously doesn’t match up to the amount on the W-2 since it shows I made way less. So I get an email that my membership was denied because of the documents I submitted. I called a rep told me there was an alert saying the account could have been open fraudulently since the numbers from the W-2 and the paystub didn’t match up. He suggested I submit both W-2s from last year and explain the timeline of switching employers to them. So the next day I submitted both W-2s and a water bill and passport picture so they know it’s me and also explaining my new position. I also explained that my new position involved a significant pay increase which I put on my applications and can be shown from my pay stubs. So my question is, does NFCU really look into and review appeals for membership denials? I tried to go into a branch to explain further and they said since it was with security review they couldn’t do much but to wait 15 business days for a decision. I know they are strict in their requirements but this just seems like a case of misunderstanding, I just wish they reached out and asked about it before sending a denial. Anyone have any experience or thoughts if I will eventually be approved. I wasn’t dishonest in any way but I can see how they would see a slight discrepancy from the paystub and the W-2. Sorry this was long and thank you!

I think NFCU will do the right thing.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you I hope so too! It's an easy explanation I just hope they make a decision soon! This wait is killing me but I know it will be worth it! 

Message 3 of 9
buddhagirley

Would you please let me know what happened for you.  I just got an email that my application for membership was denied, which is absurd  to me because I am an honorably discharged Navy veteran.  Also the acounts have been open for about a month and a half and my direct deposit has already been going to them.   And I got the denial email at 10:35 at night... who does that?!  So I'm really curious to hear what happened with your situation.  Thank you!

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you saying that NFCU did not give you specific reasons for the denial?

@buddhagirley wrote:

Would you please let me know what happened for you.  I just got an email that my application for membership was denied, which is absurd  to me because I am an honorably discharged Navy veteran.  Also the acounts have been open for about a month and a half and my direct deposit has already been going to them.   And I got the denial email at 10:35 at night... who does that?!  So I'm really curious to hear what happened with your situation.  Thank you!

Message 5 of 9
buddhagirley

The message I got was this:

Your application for membership has been denied because the documents provided couldn’t be accepted as sufficient proof of either address or identification.*   If you wish to appeal this decision, submit your request to SecurityAppeals@navyfederal.org. Please be sure to include why your application should be reconsidered. A decision will be made within 15 business days from the date we receive the appeal.

But the accounts have been open for almost two months, and my direct deposit has been going there and I provided everything they asked for with no disrepancies in address or name or anything like that.  To say I had a restless night is an understatement.

I called first thing this morning and was told that it was a glitch in the system and that there was no problem with my account and I could go ahead and delete the email.  Way to give someone a panic attack!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thankfully it was resolved quickly in your favor.

@buddhagirley wrote:

The message I got was this:

Your application for membership has been denied because the documents provided couldn’t be accepted as sufficient proof of either address or identification.*   If you wish to appeal this decision, submit your request to SecurityAppeals@navyfederal.org. Please be sure to include why your application should be reconsidered. A decision will be made within 15 business days from the date we receive the appeal.

But the accounts have been open for almost two months, and my direct deposit has been going there and I provided everything they asked for with no disrepancies in address or name or anything like that.  To say I had a restless night is an understatement.

I called first thing this morning and was told that it was a glitch in the system and that there was no problem with my account and I could go ahead and delete the email.  Way to give someone a panic attack!

Message 7 of 9
buddhagirley

Believe me, I am VERY thankful.  My experience with them has been very good so far, and I'd like to keep it that way!  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I have heard that happen to people too! My issue with verifying my account was resolved in a bout a week which was frustrating but what i did do was complain about my frustration on their Facebook page and it was resolved soon after that. Just a tip. Smiley Happy 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.