cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy FCU Membership Denial Appeal

Navy FCU Membership Denial Appeal

Hi everyone!

I have a quick question about appealing a membership denial. Here is the full story.

I applied over the phone for a membership and was approved, my grandfather was in the Army and gave the rep information even though she didn’t really request it. I opened a checking and savings account and set up online access with her. All seemed well. A few days later, I decided to apply for a credit card and was approved. I was ecstatic. I got a message that I needed to send in docs to verify my identity. I wasn’t surprised by this as my mother who recently joined had gone through the same thing.

So I emailed my license and copy of the water bill but just the bill pay portion with my name and address on it. I got a response that the document was cut off so I resent in a copy of a W-2 and a paystub. This is where the confusion came from. Last year, I started a new job mid year. The W-2 from that employer that I submitted only showed the earnings I made for part of the year. The paystub shows my income but obviously doesn’t match up to the amount on the W-2 since it shows I made way less.

So I get an email that my membership was denied because of the documents I submitted. I called a rep told me there was an alert saying the account could have been open fraudulently since the numbers from the W-2 and the paystub didn’t match up. He suggested I submit both W-2s from last year and explain the timeline of switching employers to them. So the next day I submitted both W-2s and a water bill and passport picture so they know it’s me and also explaining my new position. I also explained that my new position involved a significant pay increase which I put on my applications and can be shown from my pay stubs.

So my question is, does NFCU really look into and review appeals for membership denials? I tried to go into a branch to explain further and they said since it was with security review they couldn’t do much but to wait 15 business days for a decision. I know they are strict in their requirements but this just seems like a case of misunderstanding, I just wish they reached out and asked about it before sending a denial. Anyone have any experience or thoughts if I will eventually be approved. I wasn’t dishonest in any way but I can see how they would see a slight discrepancy from the paystub and the W-2. Sorry this was long and thank you!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES
Super Contributor

Re: Navy FCU Membership Denial Appeal

@cryster wrote:

Hi everyone!

I have a quick question about appealing a membership denial. Here is the full story. I applied over the phone for a membership and was approved, my grandfather was in the Army and gave the rep information even though she didn’t really request it. I opened a checking and savings account and set up online access with her. All seemed well. A few days later, I decided to apply for a credit card and was approved. I was ecstatic. I got a message that I needed to send in docs to verify my identity. I wasn’t surprised by this as my mother who recently joined had gone through the same thing. So I emailed my license and copy of the water bill but just the bill pay portion with my name and address on it. I got a response that the document was cut off so I resent in a copy of a W-2 and a paystub. This is where the confusion came from. Last year, I started a new job mid year. The W-2 from that employer that I submitted only showed the earnings I made for part of the year. The paystub shows my income but obviously doesn’t match up to the amount on the W-2 since it shows I made way less. So I get an email that my membership was denied because of the documents I submitted. I called a rep told me there was an alert saying the account could have been open fraudulently since the numbers from the W-2 and the paystub didn’t match up. He suggested I submit both W-2s from last year and explain the timeline of switching employers to them. So the next day I submitted both W-2s and a water bill and passport picture so they know it’s me and also explaining my new position. I also explained that my new position involved a significant pay increase which I put on my applications and can be shown from my pay stubs. So my question is, does NFCU really look into and review appeals for membership denials? I tried to go into a branch to explain further and they said since it was with security review they couldn’t do much but to wait 15 business days for a decision. I know they are strict in their requirements but this just seems like a case of misunderstanding, I just wish they reached out and asked about it before sending a denial. Anyone have any experience or thoughts if I will eventually be approved. I wasn’t dishonest in any way but I can see how they would see a slight discrepancy from the paystub and the W-2. Sorry this was long and thank you!

I think NFCU will do the right thing.

FICO8 EQ 769 TU 791 EX 764 Total revolving limits 569900 (484900 reporting)
Message 2 of 3

Re: Navy FCU Membership Denial Appeal

Thank you I hope so too! It's an easy explanation I just hope they make a decision soon! This wait is killing me but I know it will be worth it! 

Message 3 of 3